Twenty-nine

You refused to go to the doctor since you feel alright. So he takes you back to his room.

How many things happened just in a few hours...

Doffy gently puts you down to the bed and lies beside you. You crawl closer to his side, he covers you with the feather coat.

Your head is resting on his muscular upper arm. When you look up, you can see his face.

-Why did you go out, Dowly? Who took you there? -he asks suddenly and you frown.

-If I tell you, you will kill him or her. That person didn't want anything bad. -you answer silently.

-I know it was Violet.

Your heart almost stops and you tense up.

-Don't punish her, Doffy! She wanted to help me, because... she suffered so much.

-I didn't know it was her. -he sighs and kisses your hand. -You have to be more careful. She lied about Crocodile too, so it was just a good tip.

How can I be such an idiot?!

-Doffy... please!

He chuckles.

-I won't punish her if you want it so bad. But next time she betrays me, I can't forget it. This will be my gift for you, because you chose me.

You take a deep breath. -I don't know if I can... join your Family. All the suffering of this country is caused by you. Even if I love you, I can't take place in something like that! Violet knew this, this is why she wanted to show me the darkness.

He smiles. -I know. But what about hearing the whole story? Just because you felt it, you don't know what happened.

You silently nod and close your eyes.

He tells you everything important about his childhood, Law, Rosinante and Dressrosa.

And about the Donquixote Family.

(...)

When he finishes, your head is empty. Doffy held you tightly by his warm body the whole time while he spoke.

You didn't use your ability.

I just couldn't.

You killed your own father at such a young age, Doffy. In front of your little brother.

You tortured and killed more people than I can imagine.

And you brought darkness to a beautiful, peaceful country, making it suffer for ten long years.

You almost killed Rosinante.

And you wanted to force Law to die, in exchange for making you immortal.

You tremble and take a deep breath.

-Can you still forgive me, Dowly? -he asks. His voice is even deeper and more hoarse than usually. -If you can't, I will let you go and leave me.

-I...

You shiver as his body freezes. You pull yourself up and leave a little kiss on his neck.

-I can't change the past, Doffy. Nobody can.

He gasps a little for a split second.

Doflamingo smiles and turns to his side to hug you tightly. You breath in the comforting scent of his skin.

-But I will change the future. -he whispers. -As I said, everything is different now. You messed up my plans.

-Just like I messed up your heart. -you chuckle and he growls.