Nineteen

He jumps down of the roof and goes to the Birdcage. The strings expand to let him go, leaving behind the town of misery. Doffy holds you close to his body, his long fingers absent-mindedly playing with your hair.

You don't even have power to stand by yourself.

You spent a whole day pushing the ability of your Fruit. Too much terrible emotions reached you from the suffering people.

The cold inside you is spreading in your whole body and you can't stop shaking.

When you open your eyes a little you always see Doffy's empty face, sometimes looking at you.

-I didn't think you will be in this bad condition. -he murmurs.

-It's... because of you. -you whisper and smile when he tsk-s.

You laugh a little at his face.

-You like blood. Why don't you like me now, covered in it? -you mock him. -You don't look happy, Doffy.

-Because it's your blood too. -he huffs.

This is what I wanted to hear.

You are not always that harsh.

He brings you to a huge lonely tree on the side of a little watercourse, and puts you down, kneeling beside your helpless body. He takes off the sunglasses for a few seconds to wash his face.

You hiss and sit up, trembling from the cold and the pain.

-What the hell are you doing? -asks Doffy, hiding his eyes again. He reaches for you to help but frowns when you start talking.

-I wash the blood off. -you answer, leaning forward. Your arm is shaking just because you are holding yourself. -I can't stand it on myself anymore. I killed five hundred people.

Doffy examines your body without the usual smirk.

-I knew that your Fruit is hard to resist, but you look pretty bad. -he says.

-Because I used it for a whole day! And I was injured in the beginning. -you protest, trying to reach for the water.

Your arm gives up and you fall down. Doffy catches you in the last moment and scowls, carefully pulling you to his embrace.

-You have the Voice of All Things, right?

How did this come?

-I have. But why does it matter?! -you ask, trying to climb down of his arm.

I don't want him to see me hopeless.

He sighs. -You should have told me.

-I can control it well, it doesn't effect anything. -you huff and he shakes his head a bit.

-It makes using your Devil Fruit much harder, since you can feel a lot more things than a regular person. -he says. -Your state is not that striking knowing this. But you did great. I prepared three similar towns on this island because I was sure you will fail at first.

-I killed an innocent. -you whisper and push him away, turning back to the watercourse.

I don't want that blood on my skin.

-If you didn't kill him, I would have killed everyone in the cage. -he smiles.

-You really...?

Doffy smirks and you press your hand on your forehead.

Of course he would.

-You have great potential, Dowly. You can be even more powerful than I planned. -he grins, picking you up, laying you down next to the water.