xxv. hand gripping

"You think 'tachi will do fine out here alone?" Shisui questioned Aiko who was sitting on a bed and removing the hair band from her top bun. The two were alone in the room the trio rented at a small inn. They had arrived at the resting place for the night after trekking through the muddy grounds of the rain following the physically strenuous day.

The three arrived but much to the two left behind confusion, Itachi had left almost as fast as they had arrived. He had been so quiet on the way to the inn but he was always quiet, even with thoughts that were so loud.

Shisui knew his friend was restless and felt the need to comfort him. What stopped him was Aiko not allowing him to follow Itachi out the door. She called him back and told him not to follow but he did not need to ask why he should not.

"He is quiet and reclusive... He will be just fine." Aiko shrugged and sighed while rubbing her scalp. She flopped on the bed and felt her hair melt into an inky pool on the hotel blanket. As she grumbled internally, she felt even more comfortable in her belief that Itachi was perfectly fine to go on a walk without his friends hovering.

"He needs the alone time but..."

"Stop worrying and go shower! Itachi won't blow his cover and this walk can only benefit him." She flailed her arms at the Uchiha who worried for his best friend. She almost felt bad for sounding so dismissive but she trusted her weasel butt. "Weasel butt is so anti social it's like no one would even know he existed. I know he has seemed a little shaky but he's solid Shisui."

The Uchiha rubbed the back of his neck with a nervous chuckle before sitting beside her splayed body.

"All he has known is to eliminate any emotions and put barriers between the people he cares about. So for him to be able to connect with someone freely is messing with him. Especially since he cares for them."

Aiko felt her face flush and she tried to laugh it off.

"But what about you, Shisui? Does he not connect freely with you? You guys are like brothers in my eyes." Her face warmed at the idea of the strong bond between Itachi and Shisui. It felt like a privilege to be so privy to their relationship all these months.

"As a fellow Uchiha, he is putting these same barriers because he knows that there is a chance he will have to eliminate me. It's not completely concrete but the idea is always in the air."

Aiko frowned to herself as she actually thought about the topic her mind usually tip toes around regularly. She has always wondered what it would be like to be genuine friends with Shisui and Itachi. She always wondered what it would be like to do what normal friends did in the Leaf village. She has watched people high five and hug all around the village and wondered what being intimate in such a small way was like. There had been times when she wanted to be affectionate with her friends and had to second guess herself because of the fear of see more than she could handle.

"I want to hug you... Or even just hold your hand. You two lead such disheartening lives and its so hard to ignore when I spend everyday with you guys. I constantly feel the need to comfort you but I also feel the constant fear to avoid all contact."

She held her small hand in front of her and stared hard at it. It was small and cold. It had been her whole life and this aspect of her life has bothered her more and more these last few seasons.

"Do you feel the gain of having contact with friends outweigh the cost of grieving them in the same breath? Do you think the warmth of affection may please you more than the cold of longing?"

Her breathing felt like it had ceased completely. The questions she knew she had to ask herself being put out so openly before her almost stopped her heart. She had never heard such a tone from Shisui. The moment reminded her that he was older than herself by three years and that he had time to grow wise. He was able to read her so well.