39. The aftermath

Everlee's POV

With a gasp I open my eyes and shut them immediately when the bright, white lights fall directly on them. A whimper leaves my mouth as I try to open them again. A slight ache just above my eye being its cause.

"Lee? It's okay, don't rush," a soft, soothing voice reaches my ears and I feel a hand caressing my head.

I swallow and feel my dry throat. With a wince I open my eyes and adjust to the lights,"I ne-need water."

A scraping of chair echoes in the room. A few seconds later, a large hand comes behind my head and picks it up, bringing the cup of water to my lips. I gulp the liquid hungrily and lay back. Now, feeling better I turn my head to the person.

Ash sits on the stool beside my bed and holds my hand,"Hey, do you feel good?"

I nod weekly and look down at our hands. A thin tube attached to my hand catches my eye,"What is this?"

He sighs,"You are in the hospital, baby. Last night after you called....."

Last night. Last night. Oh, last night Ash dropped me home. I went inside and then..... Percy. He, he did this. He hurt me. He almost-

"Lee, baby. Breathe, please, breathe." He strokes my hair and I try to calm down,"It's okay, you are safe."

A few tears slip from the corner of my eyes. I reach for Ash and he helps me up, wrapping his arms around me. I clutch onto him needing the warmth and comfort. He holds me tightly, simultaneously caressing my head.

The door to the room opens,"Ash, your cof- Lee? Oh my god!"

I turn my head to Lina and get engulfed in a big hug,"Oh my god! You are awake."

We pull back and I notice her eyes brim with tears. And so are mine. She holds my face and whisper,"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't stop that. I'm sorry I failed you."

I shake my head and state firmly,"No, I won't let you blame yourself. It isn't your fault. It hurts more when you say that."

She wipes my tears and whispers,"I was so scared."

I sniff and try to smile,"I'm okay. I'm okay."

The door opens again and a doctor steps in, Ash following behind. In the moment before I didn't even notice him leaving.

The doctor comes beside me and gives me a small smile,"Hi, I'm Mr. Brown. How are you feeling?"

Ash gives me a nod, urging me to speak and I take a deep breathe,"I'm okay," I say shakily.

"Everlee, to recover faster you need to be honest with me," Mr. Brown says encouragingly.

Lina gives my hand a squeeze and I open my mouth again,"I-I feel tired and drained out," he notes something down,"I also have this slight ache, just above my left eye and I find it a little difficult to breathe."

He smiles at me and nods,"The weakness is expected. And the pain above your eye is due to the glass that slashed your skin. Your ribcage took a blow, that is why you are having trouble breathing, fortunately we don't have any broken bones. Don't worry though, you'll feel better in no time. I'll come back later, take care."

I give him a grateful smile,"Thank you."

He smiles back and walks out of the door, shutting it behind him. I slump back against the headboard and sigh tiredly. Ash comes on my right side and sits on the bed. I instantly curl up to him and bury my face in his chest.

He rubs my back for a few moments and then asks softly,"I know it's not the right time but I need to know who did this to you Lee."

I stiffen making his movements stop. I pull away and look up at him,"It doesn't matter. I'm okay now and it should end here."