38. Lie

Percy's POV

Men walk in through the door, instantly gaining my attention. I search for my dad in all those faces. I sigh disappointingly when I don't see him. With a sad frown I continue playing with my ball. Everyone is chatting and all other kids are playing around. I should too, but I don't like people. I like silence.

I only like my dad, he is the only person I play with. I don't have a mom but I never needed one, only beacuse of my dad. He left me in this house with all of these people in the morning, like he often does when he is busy for the day. It's my summer holidays and he says I will get bored at our house, so this is where he brings me. He says this is his second home, I will be safe here.

He thinks I'm still a kid. I'm eleven not five, but I guess for him I'll always stay that way. In the midst of my thinking, I notice a girl sitting on the stairs, with her eyes watching everyone. She looks sad, from inside.

"Percy?" my eyes stray to the voice which called me,"I have something to tell you."

He gestures for me to follow him to the adjacent room. I nod at him and walk inside,"What is it Declan? By the way why isn't dad here yet?"

His face morphs into one of remorse and he sighs heavily,"That is what I had to tell you. He- he is dead, Percy."

I stare at him for a moment and then find my voice,"I'm sorry? I asked you about dad?"

"I know it's hard for you to believe but that's the truth. He is gone. But you know he loves you," he says seriously.

My throat clogs up and my eyes prick with tears. I shake my head,"No, he- no he just cann-, how- why?"

He places his hand on my shoulder,"I'm sure you know our job is dangerous. Some things happend in the past week and he took the hit."

Tears flow down my cheek freely,"Who did that to him!? Why did they do that to him!?"

He looks down for a moment and then finally met my eyes,"Last week a man left his daughter here for money. Infact that man was one of our business partners. Yesterday, he came here to collect his money and he bumped into your dad. You see, your dad has done his fair share of bad things and he hurts anyone if required. But when it comes to kids he couldn't let anyone hurt them. I mean you were the most precious person in his life. We knew that about him, so we didn't let him know about that deal. When he got to know about the girl, he threatened to expose him. This afternoon, his men jumped your dad and...."

"No! No! No!" I shout and clutch my head.

I punch on the wall beside me and then press my forehead on it, sobbing,"He was just trying to be a good person."

"You see, sometimes being good is not enough. Sometimes bad is required. He was the good in all those bad and it cost him his life," he says sadly.

"So now what? Are you not gonna do anything about it!" I yell at his face.

He grits his teeth and speaks,"We have no proof against them."