36. I'm sorry

"Everlee!" I turn my head to the voice that calls me. He is a fellow gang member but I don't actually know him. He stands a couple of feet away from me and yells,"Declan wants you in his tent!"

He doesn't wait for me to speak and runs to the other side. I hold my head in my hand and groan loudly. I don't want to see his face, I haven't in the last two weeks. The last time I saw him was on Ash's birthday and it's been more than two weeks now. I have had a peaceful week after school got over and was still having it tonight but it won't last long as always. I start walking towards his tent with my eyes downcast.

Why is he even here today? He never comes on Mondays.

I pull myself together and enter his tent, my eyes still lowered. Not beacuse I'm scared but beacuse I'm disgusted. I feel him briefly glance at me and continue signing some papers.

"You can sit." I jolt a little as his voice speaks through the silence.

I slowly walk to the chair in front of him and sit on it. I hold both my hands together and wait for him to say something. He doesn't look up and continues looking at some files. Finally after a long and agonizing five minutes he closes all his work and looks at me.

"So, how's life? I hope you are getting along with people," he smirks at me.

I shrug and look down at my hands, gritting my teeth. He knows what his words are doing to me,"Why am I here?"

"Oh, nothing much I just wanted to know your answer." His smirk flatteres at my confused expression,"The papers, your answer is obviously yes, right?"

I suddenly remember about the papers he is talking about. It completely slipped my mind. I swallow lightly and speak,"Am I still not supposed to know what those papers are about?"

He gives me a laugh,"You are never supposed to know."

"Why? What do I have that is so important to you?" I narrow my eyes at him.

His face locks and he glares at me. I don't back down though, I'm not that person anymore,"What if I don't sign them?"

He gets up from his seat and so do I. He takes a deep breath, probably trying to control his anger,"You know what happens if you don't."

From the look on his face I know those papers mean everything to him. I shrug and continue,"Okay, I'll accept everything that happens but I won't sign the papers."

"You don't want your freedom? Don't you want to live happily ever after with your boyfriend?" He sneers at me.

I scoff at him,"Freedom? He was the reason I wanted freedom. He gave me something to imagine after I leave this hell hole. But guess what? You took it away from me and now I have nothing to lose."

In a single stride he comes in front of me and wraps his hand around my throat. He turns me around and pins me to the desk, taking hold of both of my hands behind my back. It happnes so fast that I feel dizzy. Struggling to breath, I try to free my hands.

His breath fans my ear,"You are signing those papers. I will make sure of that." With that he threw me across the room,"Now, get out before I kill you."

I look at his murderous glare and scurry to get up from the ground. I rush outside and take a lungful of breath. I don't stop though, I keep walking to get as far away from him as I can get. I did challenge him but I'm not strong enough to take him down, I wouldn't survive if he actually decides to kill me.

"Ah!" my body collides with some other and I look up at the stranger.

Instead it's not a stranger,"Ash?"