NINE

"Cry, let the water go

"Cry, let the water go. You were drowning"

"Hello, Mr Lupin!" Happily greeted Lily Evans as she entered the Lupin's house, "I'm Lily"
Lyall smilingly shook the redhead's hand and stepped aside to let her in, then he motioned for her to head upstairs, where Eloise was.
Lily nodded and trotted her way towards the blond's bedroom, where she knocked at the door.
The wooden door yanked open immediately, showing an Eloise with her long wavy blond hair in a very messy bun and she was even still wearing her pajamas.
"Lily!" She exclaimed, pulling her friend in a warm embrace.
"El! It's so nice to see you again," smiled widely the redhead and sat on the comfortable bed, which stood in the corner of the room, "where's Remus?"
Lunar hurried to the bathroom quickly and brushed through her wavy hair.
"He's gone to James's for three weeks, since his parents aren't home." She stated and tied her hair in an high-braid.
Lily groaned loudly, "How do you even put up with that prick?"
Eloise chuckled slightly and she shook her head playfully before peeking her head out of the restroom.
"He's not as bad as you think, Lil," she declared with a side grin, "he's very nice if he wants to"
The green eyed couldn't help but scoff at that response, recalling all of the times Potter had made fun of everyone with his pals, especially Severus.
"Snape doesn't count, Lily. James has his reasons to loathe that guy and I actually do as well" pointed out Eloise, understanding what her best friend was thinking about, making Lily blush at how she knew her, "Besides, you can't judge a book by its cover, can you?"

After a few minutes, the two girls descended the stairs with the blond's trunk and said goodbye to Lyall before they left.
Lily's parents had gotten her two tickets for a muggle bus so that the two of them could've reached their house by themselves.
"I'll see you soon, dad" Eloise embraced her father tightly as he pressed a soft kiss on her head.
"I love you, El" smiled widely Lyall and it was returned from his beloved daughter.
"Love you too"

The bus ride was very boring and Eloise, in that moment more than ever, wished to be seventeen already so that she could've used her magic to cause some chaos among those muggles. A sigh escaped her rosy lips and it made Lily giggle a bit, then she softly patted the other's back, signaling to not do anything strange.
Lily had already informed her friend about her sister's behavior towards magic and she had Eloise promise to not annoy her too much, or the redhead's parents might not invite her over again.

"So," began Peter with a slight smirk, eyeing Prongs, "didn't know Lunar was that close to Evans"
"Perhaps, you could use that as your advantage" winked Sirius and Remus hit his head annoyingly.
"Don't worry Moony," goofily grinned James, avoiding eye contact with his mates, "I would never use Els that way"
The Lupin wizard smirked without anyone noticing and nodded his head thankfully towards Prongs, who still had a cheeky grin on his lips.
They all soon changed subject and began talking about random stuff and laughed their asses off, like they always did for that matter.

"Eloise! It's so nice to meet you!" Exclaimed happily Mrs Evans with a huge smile on her thin lips as she yanked the door open.
Her fuming red hair bounced on her shoulders while she pulled the blond haired in a bear-hug, meanwhile Mr Evans embraced his daughter.
"Thank you for having me, Mrs and Mr Evans." Politely nodded her head El, "I promise I won't be a burden"
"Oh, I'm sure of that" grinned as well Mr Evans.
A slim-looking figure joined them by the hallway with a disgusted look on her features, making wrinkles appear near her dark eyes. Her neck seemed much longer than normal and it reminded Eloise of a giraffe, which her father had made her see at a muggle zoo when she was very young and it had eaten Remus's snacks.
"Petunia, dear," Mrs Evans trotted to her other daughter and pushed her slightly towards the witch, "this is Eloise, Lily's friend"
Lunar had expected the muggle, whom loathed magic, freak out completely and run away or something. Though, she would've never even considered that Petunia might've actually insulted her.
"How dare you let another freak inside our house, mother?" Disgustingly spat Petunia, causing the blond witch to clench her fists in anger.
Lily had noticed her friend tensing up and gently caressed her back.
"We'll be going now" she shakily replied, wishing her sister hadn't made her guest that uncomfortable.
The redhead pushed the door open and let Eloise inside, who gently dropped her trunk on the wooden floor and worryingly glanced at her.
"Is she always like that?" El asked and Lily nodded, "She can't do that, Lil, it is not alright. It's not your fault you're special!"
The green eyed chuckled at her friend's choice of words and tried her best to fight the tears threatening to stream down her cheeks. She had nobody she could've talked to about her school year, for Petunia always changed subject so that she didn't have to listen to those stories. Whenever Lily was feeling down, her sister found a way to get back at her for her abilities.
"It's alright, love," Lunar rushed to her friend's side, resting her hands on her shoulders, "You can talk to me"
Lily eventually broke down and wrapped her arms around her friend's figure, sobbing into her shoulders. Eloise caressed her hair, shushing her to let it all out. She understood it might've been difficult, to live under the same roof as that brat of a muggle, and she didn't want her best friend to suffer that much pain, she didn't deserve it.
In that moment, Eloise Lorelei Lupin swore to herself she was going to finally make Lily Evans happy. Even if it meant that she was going to hurt, she just wanted the redhead to finally find her happiness.
A sigh escaped the blond's lips, debating why she wanted her friend to be that happy.
Lily Evans deserved more to be happy than Eloise ever will.
Lily wasn't a monster like she was; Lunar was the only one who didn't deserve happiness.

(A/N): I AM SO SORRY it took so long for me to update this, but I had a lot of school stuff to do. So I apologize.
Since this week I'll be attending my classes from home because of COVID, I'll write as many chapters as I can and post them one a day.
Vote if you liked my story so that I know somebody is actually reading and enjoying it.
Lu.ce