Chapter 23: ARC 1 - The Lost Princess

What does it take for someone to go mad? 

When do people lose their rationality?

Torture them until death?

Have someone mentally abuse them without ceasing?

Or, is it hereditary?

Does blood have something to do with it?

ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅ઇଓ

"Get out of my sight before I slice your head off!"

The others who were in the room couldn't help but be flabbergasted too. Their mouths dropping in shock, eyes questioning, ears unbelieving, and minds operating turbulently.

Reyr, who already knew everything, released a heavy sigh and stood up to hold the man's shoulder in a poor attempt to calm the fuming man. "Don't. It'll only get things worse."

Not even noticing a hand on his shoulder that landed rather heavier than expected , Zevlin was already consumed by complete rage and he didn't even know that he was about to slash his sword without thinking.

Cage, who was wholly mortified after hearing the girl's sudden confession and only stood in shock for a duration of a few seconds, immediately woke up from his dazed state to stop the man's incoming sword with his, even forgetting to address him as their lord. "Zevlin, snap out of it!"

Of course, Cage was feeling as furious as the man but he didn't want to hear nor see another one's death in the middle of these already tough times. Cage, who knew Fae's kindness and how understanding she was even to the ones who can't comprehend her, felt like she herself didn't want Rosalyn to be killed too because of her. He knew that Fae was that kind.

Rosalyn only stood there as she clutched her chest to calm her rapidly beating heart. As her eyes that are about to bulge out of its sockets widen even more, her sweat flowing uncontrollably on each side of her face, and her legs already shaking involuntarily, she couldn't fathom that the lord just pointed his sword at her neck just a second ago.

Why?

She is an important figure in the rebellion.

She is a general.

She came first before that girl.

But why does the lord want to kill her?

Was she that wrong to save her own life? Yes, she has already acknowledged that she was rather selfish for doing that, but...she just did it to save her own. If she didn't do something, then instead of that girl, she could have been the one burned inside that tower.

That's why she confessed nicely. That was her plan. He shouldn't kill her almost immediately. She can accept any punishment, she even shamelessly said to everyone just a while ago to kill her, but that was just a pretentious excuse to further prove that she was feeling horrible enough, that she felt guilty enough, and that she was already paying for her sin for being miserable enough.

Frightened out of her wits, Rosalyn slowly stepped back while staring at the man's striking golden eyes that showed absolute hostility directed towards her entire being. With just one look, she already felt small and weak before him.

Rosalyn didn't want to accept it. This man was underestimating her! No, she did not expect this at all!

She has mentally tortured herself enough for five years already, that was enough payment! Didn't they see her desperate eyes? Didn't they see how vulnerable she is? Didn't they see how pitiful she is?