Chapter 14: ARC 1 - The Lost Princess

"I killed the monster."

Umi said, her eyes twinkling dangerously as she looked into Cage's eyes.

Spending a few memorable years with the girl in front of him, Cage had always admired her mind and strength. Fae always seemed to know what is right and wrong. She would effortlessly solve complicated problems, figure out mysterious things without much effort, knew what to do in difficult situations, and would get along with anyone even if she rarely talks.

To them, in that small village, Fae is a rare gem.

When both of them were admitted into this fortress as apprentices of a general, Cage started to notice that the usually indifferent girl that he grew up with started to be more lively and even talks more and more these days in just a span of a month. Cage knew it was a good thing, that the girl is finally opening up, but seeing as how that girl was now in bed like this, he realized once again how dangerous the world they just walked into.

Cage was almost about to cry in tears. "Did it attack you? Were you hurt?"

Umi shook her head weakly. "I'm fine now."

Zevlin, who was silently listening to the side with his arms crossed over his chest, found himself not appreciating that the girl who kept silent when they were alone is now easily talking to someone other than him. But, since the girl seemed to be answering the questions he wanted to ask, it was better than nothing.

By the time the elderly doctor finished checking Umi's body for any injuries, she only declared and mended a few bruises and scratches, and then advised that the girl only needs her rest.

When the doctor went outside, Reyr came in just in time.

Reyr leaned down to pat the girl's head. "You did well. The poison you put on the dagger was lethal to any reptiles. I'm surprised you thought of that in a short amount of time."

Umi gave the general a small smile. "I'm trying to live up to your expectations, general."

Reyr smiled gently. "No one could have done better than you."

The girl gave her superior a small smile. "You flatter me, general."

Reyr was about to offer a few other compliments when a man loudly cleared his throat, gaining the attention of everyone in the room.

"We should leave her to rest. No one will come into this room until tomorrow," Zevlin stated with his usual deep and imposing voice.

The three men in the room simultaneously agreed and one by one, they went outside after saying their few pieces of advice to the girl on the bed.

Once the door was closed, the girl was now left alone. Umi slowly sat up and leaned against the soft pillows, now prepared to interrogate the kitten in front of her.

"What in the world was that?"

Mochi flew back a couple of feet away from the bed, afraid that the girl would lash out. "Didn't you recognize it?"

"What recognize?! It's my first time seeing a monster like that." Umi felt like smoke was already going out of her nose and mouth because of her fury. "It was not in Fae's memories and it wasn't on the original storyline!"

Mochi scoffed. "It wasn't like it was not on the original storyline, it's just that you didn't pay attention to every detail on the story, especially during this timeline."

Umi snorted and then said the following words in a sarcastic tone, "Enlighten me then, oh wise one."

Mochi rolled his eyes. "Remember how the Mad King was able to take over the whole continent?"