Chapter 28-Failing (Pt. 1)

Shane's P.O.V

"Happy Birthday, man!" I gave Rain a small, slightly tipsy, hug. He hugged me back with a laugh and hiccuped in my ear. I pulled away and patted his shoulder, turning to look at the door where Cecilia was standing. "Sorry I have to leave so early but I promised Cecilia we would go to a movie tonight."

"It's cool man!" He smiled, taking another drink. "I'm just glad you made it to begin with. Hey, take home some cake!" He added, lifting a piece of half eaten rainbow cake to my face. I chuckled and pushed his hand down, shaking my head.

"I'm good. I have had enough cake." Cecilia cleared her throat at me and I could tell she was getting annoyed. "Anyways, happy birthday again man." And with that I walked over to Cecilia who shot me a look. "Sorry, babe. I had to say-"

"Yeah, whatever." She snapped, staring off behind me. "Let's just get out here before I blow up." She added and I looked behind me to see that she was staring at Ella, who was laughing at something Lyric said. She looked over at us and her smile faded quickly, her eyes filling with anger and pain.

"Yeah." I sighed and opened the door for her, forcing my eyes away from Ella. "After you, my lady." I smiled at her, bowing a bit as I opened the door. She giggled and walked out, grabbing my hand to pull her with me.

"Hey, Shane?" She asked once we were out of the building hallway, her hands interlocking with mine. I hummed a response, looking down at her. "Can we not go to the movie? I'm not really up to it."

My face fell at her words and I pulled us to a stop. "I thought you wanted to go? I left early so we could go." I said trying not to sound annoyed.

"I know. I just didn't say anything about not going cause I was afraid we wouldn't leave early. I-"

"Wait." I cut her off, letting go of her hand. "You made me leave my best friend's party for no reason?" I snapped and she look taken back.

"It wasn't for no reason, baby. I thought we could just hang out." She said, reaching to take my arm but I shrugged away.

"We could have hung out back at the party." I pointed out, my tone laced with anger. She raised her eyebrows at me in surprise, crossing her arms.

"Why are you getting upset with me?" She asked in hurt before narrowing her eyes at me. "You only wanted to stay cause of Ella, didn't you?" She hissed and I felt unwanted guilt fill me knowing part of that was true.

"N-no." I lied. "I wanted to stay because it was my best friend's birthday." I retorted and she scoffed.

"What happen to not being friends with her, Shane? What happen to moving on?" She asked.

"I am moving on!"

"Really? Cause it doesn't look like it by the way you were being all friendly with her for that little play y'all did." She spat in jealously.

"What? So now I'm not suppose to be nice to her at all?" I raised my eyebrows. "Just because we aren't friends doesn't mean I need to be a dick to her." I noted.

"Yeah it does.Then she'll realize that she can't have you anymore. You belong to me now." She barked.

"I don't belong you anyone!" I yelled making her flinch. "You can't just control who I hang out with just because you don't like them. Whether you like it or not I'm never going to hate Ella. I'm never going to forget about what we had. I'm never going  to able to cut her out of my life completely. She's my best friend god damn it! And because I'm trying to make whatever this is work I just had to witness her crying because of whatever happened between you two. And I stuck up for you! And now I'm not quite sure why I did." I fumed, hands balled up at my sides.