Chapter 26 - Sonakshi's secret is out

[Past Scenes - Normal font

Present Scenes - Bold + Italicized]

[October 14, 2017 - 12 am]

Naina is surprised to hear what Sonakshi said. Sonakshi words, 'I would have died with my mother as an infant if dad didn't save me.' This increased Naina's curiosity of knowing the past. She further questioned her, "Didi, what are you saying? What is your past"

Sonakshi looks at her with a pale smile - "There is no honor in killing, yet the society believes in honor-killing. How hypocritical we are!" 

25 years ago - 1994, December 31 - Karnataka

Anand was a doctor and his hospital is located in a forest area and it was actually his 5th day since in the place/hospital. He used to stay in the hospital with solitude as in the village, none visited him in these 4 days. Sometimes, snakes would creep in the window glasses or wild animals create noise. But due to financial trouble, he reluctantly stayed there for a little sum of money. Then, at late night, he would leave with chilling fear of being caught by some animal to his house which is also located near the forest area border.

One day at almost late night, two men knocked his house door. Anand, who was partially slept, got disturbed and opened the door. It was raining heavily.

While he was rubbing his eyes, one of the man said, "Doctor sahab,  tum jald lena medikal kit aur any baaten, ham kaheen ja rahe hain, jaldee. (Doctor sir, take your medical kit and other things, we are going somewhere. Fast!)"

Anand looks at them shocked and irritated, "Kahaan pe ? (Where) Its not the time for working."

The men looked at him sternly. Anand reluctantly got inside and brought his things out and he sat in the bullock cart which is theirs. Anand wore a sweater out of chill.

One of the men ties his eyes with a black cloth.

Anand - "tum kya kar rahe ho! (What are you doing?)"

One of the two guys - "Savaal mat poochho! ham aapako koee nukasaan nahin pahunchaenge. (Don't ask question, we won't harm you)"

Anand didn't ask him any further questions seeing the rugged look and threatening attitude. The bullock cart must have travelled so far.

Anand - "kya maamala (What case?)"

One of them answered - "Prasav peeda (labour pain)."

Anand is shocked as he didn't do any gynecology course which was very rarely chosen by males. Before he could speak, the jeep stopped and the guys took him inside. They removed the blindfold of Anand and the guys leave.

It is a storehouse. Anand looks at the room where a young girl of 16s is screaming in pain due to her labour and a old women (deaf and dumb) is standing near her. Anand was shocked and he moves to the other room where the two guys who brought him and man of fiftees who looked like her father is standing nervously.

Anand - "Dekhiye (look), I am not trained in delivering a baby. Also, I am a male doctor. You must have called someone else."

Her father - "That's not an option. You must do what needs to be done and we will pay you handsomely. See, the girl must be saved and the baby may be delivered alive or dead."

Anand pleaded them to get him rid him out of situation. But they insisted him do the same. Scared Anand has no choice. He had observed and assisted in few deliveries under the guidance of his medical college professors, but nothing more. Nervously, he starts recalling his theoretical knowledge and his limited past experience.