As I said before, what a cluster fuck.

“Ruth?”

Gritting my teeth I try to keep my voice even. “What?”

“Aren’t you going to say anything?”

“What’s to say?” I shrug. “You pretty much said everything that needs to be said.”

He sighs. “I didn’t want to hurt you. I just thought you should know.”

“And now I do so thank you. Really, thank you. I’d hate to go into anything with expectations that won’t pan out.”

“Ruth—“

I shake my head and turn up the radio, hoping to drown him out. He doesn’t finish his sentence and though I feel his eyes on me I don’t risk another glance the rest of the way. Why torture myself even more with questions when they won’t be answered? What is the point?

As soon as we enter the nearest town, aptly named Redwood, I spot a mom and pop kind of grocery store. Pulling Chicky to a stop by the curb I don’t even acknowledge Brandon before crawling out of the car. I’m trying to save the little bit of my pride I have left but I don’t know how well that’s working out. In fact I’m really just fighting the urge to crawl in a hole somewhere.

I know Brandon is following me but as soon as he feel him about to touch me I push open the door of the store, making him retreat. It’s a good thing, I tell myself, because this way I won’t want to melt into him and let myself forget that he can’t be with me like that. Not that I would want that. Even in my head my own lies don’t sound convincing anymore.

“Hello there!” An old man greets, popping a head up over a shelf with a grin. “How are you doing today folks?”

“Fine.” I smile. “How about yourself?”

“Oh I’m doing just great. What can I help you folks with?”

“Nothing in particular, just some general shopping today. Thank you though.”

He nods. “No problem ma’am. If you change your mind though I’ll be around.”

“Okay, thank you.”

Moving down one of the only four aisles in the store I hear Brandon shadowing me. His footsteps are heavy against the linoleum and the tension rolling off him tell me he’s not happy with the situation. I would feel sorry for him but he did insist on coming.

As I move through the aisles I feel my annoyance and hurt fade away into pure concentration on my tedious task. Throwing in a few things here and there into a small squeaky cart I mentally check off my grocery list. Okay, I should probably get some ramen though for emergency's sake.

“I’m going.” Brandon suddenly announces.

I don’t face him as I inspect a can of green beans. “Leaving already?”

“I need some air.” He grunts. “I’ll meet you back at the cabin.”

“Why?” I ask, putting the can back. Finally looking up at him I see the agitation clear on his face. “Why not just go home, Brandon? You said it yourself, it can’t go further than this so what’s the point of prolonging the inevitable?”

Scowling at me he lets out a sharp exhale. “I’ll see you later.”

Turning back towards the items on the shelf I give him a little wave. “Whatever.”

When he turns to leave I peek up at him out of the corner of my eye and watch him walk away. His hands are curled into fists and his back is tight with tension. Trying to push away the guilt I feel I place a can of corn in the cart. Once I hear the ding of the store door my whole body relaxes and with it comes the urge to cry.