Chapter 15: ARC 1 - The Lost Princess

Start from the beginning

"What? How is the girl faring now?" General Marian asked in a worried tone.

Rosalyn replied, "Lily has been treated and will just need to rest for a month."

Lily is a seventeen-year-old girl who is short for her age and has the same features as the princess among all the other women under Obsidian, that's why she was the chosen one to be given this special task. Of course, she knows of Rosalyn's identity but she was a tight-lipped person, so it was never a threat to tell her the truth. Besides, she had already taken an oath in front of the lord, which is a sacred operation for the members of Obsidian.

"Then shouldn't you be in your tower right now?" General Russel asked.

Rosalyn nodded, her face weary. "No matter how risky, I have to be in this meeting. I will be back before sunset."

This wasn't the first time that the princess has escaped the tower but no matter how many times she did go out without being noticed, it was still a dangerous endeavor that she needs to be most careful of every time.

"Aren't there any others that can replace her? Someone? Anyone?" General Light asked as he studied the other's faces.

After thinking deeply for a moment, Reyr's eyes lit up in realization. "There is one."

But soon, his usual gentle face turned into one with distress as he noticed that the head of the meeting, who was keeping to himself on the side, slowly turned around to face them.

Even if the lord didn't say it out loud, as one of his closest friends who calls him with his nickname "Reyr" and is also the longest one to be by Zevlin's side, Reyr knew that the man has a soft spot for the girl that he thought of.

Zevlin, the Lord of Obsidian, started to voice out his thoughts, "Rosalyn, how long do you expect is the trial period for the poison?"

Rosalyn glanced down to count numbers in her head, and then she looked up once again. "One year at most. If I complete the first batch of poison by next month, then we will have to conduct several trials to gauge its effectiveness against any Phantom Knights until one year. After that, I can assure you that my potions will kill any of those monsters."

The generals around the table nodded. Then their leader once again opened his mouth to talk, "Finish the potions in a month. After that, we will start attacking several towns with lesser Phantom Knights on guard so we can test your poison out."

His statement earned several phrases of approval from the others.

Zevlin continued, "We'll form three groups to attack at random places simultaneously so the enemy won't be able to predict our movements."

The most prominent individuals of Obsidian turned towards each other to nod their agreement with the idea.

Zevlin added on, "As for General Rosalyn, she can go out for four days each week until next month."

In the instant after his words, some generals jumped out of their seats in shock.

"But my lord, how will that be made possible? Even when she had a substitute, she can only go out for three days at most!" General Marian cried out.

"Being found out could be more dangerous!" General Russel added.

"Bah! You are a bunch of weaklings. I say we fight now!" General Wilder exclaimed.

"Silence!" General Light yelled. "Let's hear the lord first before you complain!"

For a short moment, the ones who stood up in shock reluctantly went back to their seats. Their faces wore apologetic expressions but they still can't hide their feelings of apprehension.