Chapter 2: Respect

Rahlan and Julke take either end of the crossbeam that secures the wall's giant wooden doors. Together, they lift it off the hooks and put it aside. They each begin pulling a door back, opening the castle courtyard to the outside world. The slither of light between the doors offers me a glance at the tall woman riding a horse on the other side. Considering how the last vampire woman I met wanted to kill me after merely bumping into her, I decide that it's best if I'm not the first thing that she sees. I move out of the path and step beside Rahlan.

With the doors open, the horse trots forward. The woman riding it has long black hair and a thin sharp face. Her pale skin and red eyes match Rahlan's, and while I know she has to be at least two decades older than him, her lean figure and smooth skin could let her pass as his sister. Thinking back, all the vampire's I've seen have been either threatening large men or slender women, as if they don't lose anything to age. Regardless of how old they are, they certainly don't appear feeble. I suppose that even the old vampires would need to be able to take on a human when they were thirsty.

Without anyone's help, the woman climbs off her horse. Her feet don't make a sound as they touch the soil. She stands straight, her height and posture projecting authority. A long black dress is wrapped tight around her frame, matching her hair.

"Mother, welcome to Litton," Rahlan says.

To my surprise, he does not step forward to hug her. It looks like she has traveled far, and I know that they haven't seen each other in months. Are they on bad terms, or do vampire's frown upon embracing their family in front of others? Rahlan often kisses me in the open, so I know that he's not particularly modest.

"Rahlan, much time has passed," she says.

"Indeed. Your journey was pleasant?"

"Well enough."

Rahlan points to the vampire pushing the doors closed. "That is Julke." He indicates to the ramparts over the gate, and I spot a figure in the shadows. "That is Keld." His hand lands on my shoulder, and my body jumps in surprise. "And this is Julia, my woman."

Her features don't move at all. Our names aren't the least bit of interest to her, and neither was the declaration that Rahlan has taken me, a human, as his woman. I expected her to be shocked, but she doesn't look the least bit surprised, as if she was already aware from the moment she saw me. Did Rahlan often love the human slaves in their manor, or does she simply not care who he partners with?

"This is my mother, Ella," Rahlan says.

"It's nice to meet you," I say. Her head towers over me, only a few inches shorter than Rahlan.

Her red eyes land on me, and her brows crinkle up in contempt. Her distaste for me only appeared when I spoke, as though my human presence is tolerable so long as I'm nothing but Rahlan's silent pet.

Instead of returning my greeting, she looks back to her son. "I wish to drink, and we have cardinal matters to discuss," she says to him.

She completely ignored me. I avert my eyes to the wall on the opposite side of the courtyard, deliberately avoiding anyone else. On our very first interaction, she decided to embarrass me. Is she upset that Rahlan has taken an interest in me, or am I simply below her divine consideration?

"Come inside." Rahlan offers his hand to her, and she takes it. He doesn't address her rude behavior. Perhaps he's planning to ease her into the knowledge that we have grown close. If her attitude towards humans is anything like his was when I first met him, then I understand why he would want to take a gradual approach.

Rahlan takes her bag off the horse, and they walk up the grassy hill to the keep. I don't opt to follow them. It shouldn't be a surprise that other vampires look down on me. Choosing to come back meant that I was either going to fight it or ignore it, not sit silently and fume. In this case, I will ignore it. Even if I'm one of the matters which she wishes to discuss, I know better than anyone that it is not easy to convince Rahlan to let me go. I have nothing to worry about.