Spiders

Mother Mildred had brought the Nonnatus team to the church everyone would be staying in. Mother Mildred was ordering Fred and Patrick around with all the box if equipment, Sister Julienne was talking with Nurse Crane while having a look around, meanwhile, Lucille and Valerie emptied there bags on there beds.

Trixie and Shelagh strolled around, removing sheets and exploring. Both women bent down as Shelagh picked up an old broken clock, however, there was a spider about two by two centimetres long, causing both women to jump back and scream.

All eyes turned to the two women who, while clutching there hearts, turned around and half ran to the other end of the hall.

"What's going on?" Mother Mildred asked, glaring at the two nurses. Everyone was looking at them with concern, except for Patrick who was trying to hide his laughter but for the most part failing.

Phyllis had started to go over there, but Trixie stopped her, "I would not recommend you going there Phyllis, spiders." Everyone let out a breath at the relief that it was only spiders, Phyllis backed away slowly, and Patrick did not even try to hide his laughter.

"You're afraid of spiders Shelagh? I mean I knew Trixie was but I never thought you would be!" Valarie asked, smirking.

"I have arachnophobia, alright? My father terrified me with spiders when I was five and I have never really got over the fear. In Poplar, they are tiny! Not two by two centimetres like that one, smar in Africa!" Shelagh told them all, glaring at her chuckling husband.

Shelagh walked up to her husband and slapped him-relatively hard- in the chest. "And you'll be quiet." She glared at him, then lowered her voice, "or you will not see a bed again." She added darkly, eyes twinkling.

"Yes madam" he looked at her, everybody else already gotten back to what they were doing before- bar Trixie- and Shelagh just glared at him.

Shelagh walked back to Trixie, "What did you tell him? When you went all quiet and he said yes madam?" Trixie's eye's we're eager.

"You you will never see a bed again" the two burst into laughter.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A few days into the trip, Shelagh and Trixie where taking a minute outside.

Lucille popped her head out and asked for Trixie, so her and Shelagh went inside. Shelagh took her handkerchief out when she spotted a spider on it.

Shelagh let out a small wimper, but then realised it was fake and caught her husband laughing out the side of her eye.

Shelagh excused herself, and went to her husband. His laughing ceased when he caught the anger in her eyes. She dragged him out by his wrist and pushed him against the wall.

"Don't. You. Dare. Do. That. Again." Shelagh said through gritted teeth, tears threatened to fall.

"I am sorry, I am sorry!" He held his hands up in surrender, "what did your father do?" He asked cautiously.

By now Shelagh was pacing, "My stupid father hid fake spiders around my room so only I would find them, then told my they were poisonous, scaring me immensely, so know even if I know they are safe, I am in my room as a five year old scared for my life, Especially as that was the size he used to buy." Shelagh explained

"Oh darling! I am sorry" he actually meant it this time, saddness laced in his voice and compassion obvious in his eyes. He held her in frount of him, and kissed her forehead, which just caused the tears to fall down his wife's face.

"Just please don't do it again." She escaped his grip, wiped her eyes and went inside to get ready for the day.