Four by who

The Turners were at the Nonnatus dining table, along with Sisters Julienne, Winifred and Monica-Joan, with Nurses Mount, Franklin and Gilbert.

"I must say Barbra, 3 in one day is a lot!" Patsy congratulated again,

"Thank you." The recipient blushed.

"Well done Sister Monica-Joan and Mrs Turner as well!" Sister Winifred smiled at the two.

"Ten in one day is quite a lot! Surely that is a recorded?" Dr Turner asked,

"Second highest since the war! In June 1957 there was 11 births!" Barbara exclaimed.

"Oh I remember that day!" Sister Julienne smiled, she also spotted a slight blush appear on Shelagh's cheeks who obviously remembered said day.

"If I remember correctly: Trixie and two nurses called Miller and Juckly delivered one each." Barbara started,

"Nurse Miller is now Sister Mary Cynthia," Trixie chimed in, "meanwhile Nurse Juckly has moved to Kent" She countined, muttering 'thank goodness' under her breath.

"Sister Julienne and Evangelina delivered two each," Barbara countined,

"I delivered twins, I think, Sister Evangelina the same." Sister Julienne recalled, inwardly chuckling at the blush growing deeper on Shelagh's face,

"And surprisingly of all, someone by the name of Sister Bernadette delivered four babies! Imagine four! How she did it I could never know!" Barbara exclaimed

Trixie and Patrick smirked at Shelagh, Sister Julienne stifled a laugh, "Adrenaline, tea and prayers." Shelagh answered, gaining quizzical looks of the newer additions to the house.

"What do you mean?" Patsy asked. Sister Julienne, Trixie, Patrick and even Timothy all burst out laughing.

"I was out from six till nine thirty for Mrs Hughes fifth baby, ten till one for Mrs Getwel second baby, two till seven for Mrs Ashwells first baby and half seven till quarter to midnight for Mrs kite first baby. I had slept for about two hours the night prior and did not sleep again till after Complaine the night after." Shelagh told the table.

"Wait, wait, wait! You were a nun?!" Barbara half shouted

"Yes." Shelagh joined in the laughter of the colleagues who knew Sister Bernadette,.

"What?!" Patsy and Sister Winifred exclaimed, jaws hitting the floor,

"Right she was! Sister Julienne's right hand!" Fred walked past to fix a wall.

"But? Dr Turner-" Barbara started

"In 1958 I found out I had TB. I left to go to a sanatorium, I shall not go into the details but I came out the sanatorium as Shelagh Mannion. I married about six months later."

"Five months, two weeks and three days." Patrick added,

"Well I never!" Barbara exclaimed

"Life certainly has changed. Also, never do what I did and tend to so many deliveries with hardly any sleep, I still had rounds and clinic the day after!" Shelagh added, causing everyone to laugh.