Biggest fear

While Timothy was at his grandmother's house, Patrick and Shelagh had a quiet dinner together, talking a little about random things- the upcoming wedding, Patrick's patients and Shelagh's day out with the Nonnatus nurses- but mainly the couple spoke through their eyes, their eyes conveying messages of love to the other person. Now the two were sat on the sofa, Shelagh wrapped up in Patrick's strong embrace.

"Patrick?" Shelagh asked. She had had a question on her mind all day and she realised she had best ask it now when it was just them two together silently, in a perfect position to answer personal questions, rather than she unceremoniously blurt it out.

"Yes?" Patrick asked lovingly, playing with her soft, golden hair that he had started to touch at all opportunities.

"What is your greatest fear?" She asked, playing with a loose thread on her fiancée's sleeve.

Patrick tensed up, "Do you really want to hear that?" he saw her nod, then he took a deep breath, "Mirrors and you." he stated plainly

Now it was Shelagh's turn to tense up, anxiety-filled her, is she not enough? does he does not love her? What has she done? Why is she so idiotic that she believed the amazingness that is Patrick would like the mess that is herself? "Me?" she asked meekly.

"Not you, you and mirrors. I am terrified you will look in the mirror and see what I see, and realise you deserve so much more than me." he told her, Shelagh twisted around with wet eyes, Patrick stared deeply into her eyes so lovingly, that she thought she would melt.

"You don't mean that-" Shelagh started.

"I do, that is my biggest fear. Can I ask yours?"

"That you will leave me," she answered, barely above a whisper.

"Oh my darling, I'll never leave you." he placed kisses around her head and held her tightly against him till she fell asleep and he did not have the heart to wake her to take her to her boarding house.