22.Lie

W I N T E R

"I don't wanna ruin your good time right now," I stare at Xavier whose arms are wrapped on my stomach tightly and me nestled on his chest. I nod my head for him to continue. My heartbeat still beating erratically, but this time because of some unknown reason. "But the truths that I have told you earlier are not the last ones. There is also one huge truth your parents are hiding."

"What?" I shift my position so that I am facing him directly while he takes both of my hand in his.

What can my parents be hiding from me?

"Yes," Xavier confirms. "But I am not the one who is going tell you."

"Then who is going to tell me?" I ask in frustration.

"Your parents," Xavier stands up and grabs his car key and then give me one of his black hoodie. I feel hot and warm all over. Being gifted a hoodie from a guy was my dream. I shyly wear it and then remembers we are going to go to the hospital to see my parents.

We step inside the car after coming outside. The car is thankfully warm inside, making me smile. I like winter because of the snow, but right now I don't like the cold outside in the absence of snow.

Xavier starts driving while I start chewing on his hoodie's string anxiously. I try to calm myself by taking a deep breath, which only works a little. "You forget things easily."

"What?" I ask, not knowing what he is talking about.

"I told you my name when we were little but I guess you forgot," Of course I did.

"It was because I was just five years old when you told me your name," I lie, not wanting him to think I am foolish.

"Well... you were seven years old when I told you my name the first time," I look at him surprised. "We always used to get excited seeing each other that we used to forget every time to exchange names. But when we were trying to think each other's nickname, I took that chance to tell you my name. I already knew your name by the time because I heard your mum scolding you speaking out your full name."

I giggle while hearing Xavier talk about our childhood days clearly. "Well, what was mom scolding me of?"

"To study...," I look at him and nods for him to continue. "And to stay away from me."

I see hurt in his eyes, while I remember a period of time during our childhood where he avoided me for whole one week. "So that is why you avoided me for one whole week?"

"I am surprised you remember. I thought you didn't even remember what we ate earlier," I snort while Xavier chuckles on his own joke. I smile in relief that he is not hurt anymore. "I would have continued avoiding you if you haven't pulled that stunt."

"Gosh!" I exclaim giggling to myself.

"What were you thinking while climbing to my bedroom through the poles and windows?" Xavier cringe teasingly, making me laugh out more. "I still have nightmares because of that night till now."

"I am sorry but mom must have done that because...," I tried looking for an excuse to make Xavier feel better but at last I settle on the silence while looking down at my lap.

"Don't," I look up to him staring at me and looks forward to driving. "Don't feel guilty. Your mom was protective over you, which I am really grateful of. The positive side is she knew her limit. She made me play with you after that, but made me follow a strict time routine."

I look at Xavier in awe as I wonder how I got so lucky to have a boyfriend like Xavier. Gosh. Boyfriend. I giggle while I feel myself getting giddy and hot. Xavier must have sense that because he stares at me while I avoid looking at him, and thankfully he stays silent.

"Thank you," I spill out to Xavier, who smiles brightly.

"For what?"

"For everything," I state while I move a little to peck his cheek. I giggle silently while I see Xavier blushing.

"We reached," Xavier says while his posture becomes rigid, making me tense.

We step out of the car and goes to my mom's ward. I can't help but wonder why mom is taking her sickness seriously this time. She usually used to stay at home even if she was more sick than today.

I open the door to her ward and step inside to see my parents crying while hugging each other. Now I know everything is not alright. They stare at me in shock while they try to hide their tears which seems to be a very difficult task.

"What's going on? Why are both of you crying?" They both stare at each other while I know they are not going to tell me the truth.

"Darling, we were thinking of how you have grown, and we got emotiona-" I cut my mom off while raising my hand indicating them to stop. To stop their lie. I just feel right now that they are hiding something from me. Something huge.

"Mom and Dad I know you both are hiding something from me. Something huge," I feel Xavier's hand on my hand, making me calm a bit. "What is it?"

"Winter it is n-"

"What it it?" I ask now, tears spilling down my cheek while I feel so stupid for feeling hurt that my parents are going through something big, and I was just laughing a while ago. The fact that they are trying to hide the truth is adding up to my hurt. Xavier squeezes my hand, making me take a deep breath.

"Just tell me!" I scream while my parents seem to be glued on their seat like me. But the only difference between them and me was I don't have any zip on my mouth while they seem to be having. After what feels like hours of staring my mom tears up and finally speaks making me crumble a thousand times more.

"I have cancer," Mom confesses.