5: The Declaration of War Because Why Not

Beginne am Anfang

"That's fine," she stuttered, her eyes locking onto the exit sign, "peace is overrated anyways."

There was a vibrant glint in Atsumu's brown eyes. He gestured to the ground and smirked over his shoulder. "Clean it up, Suzuki."

She watched as the rest of the team made their way to the court. Her throat tightened when she exhaled. What kind of a statement would it make if she kicked the now uneatable food all over the gym floors and walked away?

Instead, she grabbed the box of tissues off the bench and crouched to sweep the crumbs off the floor.

She watched from under her bangs. Atsumu and another boy were sending perfect sets. The spikers had impressive jumping power and each time the ball slammed onto the court with a harsh slap. 

She had to think positively. The best she could do right now was spy on them and go back to Karasuno with information to butcher Inarizaki at nationals.

"Sorry I'm late!" a high-pitched voice sang, "I'm here now and the jerseys are-"

He screamed, tripping over her crouched body. Emiko groaned when her face smacked the ground.

The boy stumbled to his feet and hoisted her up. He held her at arm's length, round eyes flickering from her head to her toes.

"Yeah!" Atsumu cheered, "It's startin'! You," he pointed at the boy whose face had gone pale, "Ya made it on my list!"

"What?" his lips trembled. He flickered his stare to Emiko. "What list?"

The Miya twins cackled.

"I'm so sorry." The boy breathed heavily. He gestured to the washed jerseys that were now on the floor. "I couldn't see ya."

"It's cool."

"I'm Yukio Fukuda." A dimple appeared on his cheek. "Yer the new manager, right?"

She nodded. "Emiko."

He grabbed both of her hands and glowed. "Welcome to our school! I cannot wait to learn from ya. We're both fairly new to the team, so let's stick together!"

"Oh my God," she staggered forward and gripped his forearms. His skin was warm, he was not as cold-blooded as the rest of them. She nodded her head eagerly.  

"By the way, do ya know what list the Captain's talkin' about?"

"All I know is that he is a raging psychopath who wants to eat me." Then, her eyes widened with a realization. She pulled him towards the exit and gasped. "It's a recipe list!"

"A recipe list?"

"He wants to eat me. He must want to eat you too. He's put us on a list because he's a freaking cannibal and-"

"Suzuki."

She froze. Cautiously, she peeked around Yukio's body and saw Atsumu stalking towards them. His hands were on his hips and the devil's smirk on his face.

"Yukio, when I give you the signal, run."

"What are the two of ya whisperin' about?"

"Nothing," she stuttered the exact second Yukio answered, "Recipes."

He tilted his head to the side. "Right. Anyways, Suzuki, go and fetch the tape from storage. Yer the manager, yeah? Can't have ya slackin' off 'specially on the first day. Get to it. Chop-chop."

She hesitated for a second before turning on her heels. This was a simple request, one she had completed too many times for the Karasuno boys. There was no ulterior motive that she could think of. Emiko pushed the storage door open and frowned.