Chapter 5: ARC 1 - The Lost Princess

Start from the beginning

After a few deep breaths, Umi then finally started executing her plan.

Dragging her own two small legs, she dashed forward while not forgetting to try to act like a child acting strong despite clearly being weak.

Mochi, in his invisible state, followed closely behind, keeping silent all the time while observing the situation.

"I have herbs to sell too." Umi formed her lips into a thin line while her jet black eyes showed desperacy, she offered a few herbs she picked along the way with her two small and delicate hands.

Right now, she is only ten years of age. If Fae was indeed a sharp one, then she can figure out how to bring her current appearance to appeal to these people.

The elderly couple and the few soldiers, upon seeing the pitiful child with dirty appearance, were initially shocked, then turned to wary, until pity and worry took over.

"Oh, dear! How did a child come out of the forest alone? Whose child is this!"

The grandma approached Umi and carefully inspected the child's face, the only skin peeking out of the brown robe except for her bare feet on the ground.

"I haven't seen that child before." The grandpa then followed and inspected the herbs on the child's hands. "These are indeed precious herbs from the deeper parts of the forest."

"You haven't seen that child? This is a small village, is there anyone you don't know here?" a soldier asked the grandpa.

"No, everyone knows anyone here, except the soldiers who come here to trade goods." The grandpa gave a meaningful look to the soldiers. "Did she came with you?"

The soldier shook his head. "No. If there was a child on our empty carriage on the way here, we would know."

The grandma kneeled in front of the child to match her eye level and to closely inspect the girl. "Child, where did you come from?"

"Forest. My parents were hunters. They lost me."

The people around Umi who heard this were flabbergasted. Good heavens! A child, alone in the forest, even if beasts were uncommon in this side of the forest, their presence is always there on the deepest parts of the forest!

What kind of parents would bring a child to hunting!

Umi inwardly smiled. Of course, her story has many loopholes but who would dare question a lost and weak child. She can't even hurt a rabbit for food, why would they stay vigilant against her?

"Herbs. I have herbs to sell," Umi said.

Student Fae, as a lone genius, is a girl with a few words. So Umi tried to keep her character for the story. This is the reason why she was chosen by the goddess, who can act better than her?

The soldiers, who saw this pitiful child acting bravely in front of them, wavered in their positions. The one who gave the gold pouch to the elderly couple earlier, maybe the leader, crouched down in front of the small child.

"Keep these precious herbs to yourself. Instead, take this." The soldier offered her two gold coins. "You can buy bread and an exchange of clothes using these."

Umi, who had a bag full of pieces of jewelry more precious than two gold coins, bowed deeply in front of the soldier.

"Thank you," she softly whispered.

The soldier's mood instantly lightened. "You need a place to stay. I can't bring you with us, the journey is long and dangerous."

Umi was touched by the soldier's words. He still had the idea of helping her despite giving her two coins already. Looking closely, the soldier had an attractive face, tall and lean, and is young, around his late teen years.