LIII

🥀Flashback🥀

"You bout to do what?!" Maurice yelled, standing to his feet and looking at one of his closest friends like he was crazy. Aubrey took a deep sigh, running his hand down his face. He clasped his hands together and looked off to the side, not wanting to necessarily face Maurice head on.

"Look I know, I ain't really want to do it either. But I got better shit I can be doing, and working under somebody ain't really where my head at. We can always be cool-."

"Nigga there ain't no being cool after saying some shit like that. It's either you with me or you against me, there's no in between. Thought we was supposed to be in this together." Maurice wasn't hurt nor was he sad, he was angry though and it was very evident.

"You let all that power shit go to your head Ace, you ain't been about no dividing power nothing. Since Liam left you in charge and shit, you been acting like you the only nigga running this. Maybe you can bitch Blade and Don, but that's not for me." Aubrey shrugged, standing up also. Maurice looked down, chuckling bitterly in annoyance.

"Alright so what's next? You gon build a whole empire when everyone with me already? Good luck bitch." Aubrey chuckled, raising his hand to punch his once best friend due to the disrespect. But Maurice was faster than him, grabbing Aubrey's fist before it could connect with his face.

"You gotta be quicker than that." He smiled, giving Aubrey a strong right hook. A tooth went flying along with blood immediately filling up the boy's mouth. Aubrey went to fight back, but came up short due to Maurice's fast reflexes at 19 years old.

Aubrey looked at Maurice with pure hatred, his face in pain and throbbing. But Maurice didn't care, he liked inflicting pain on those who chose to willingly cross him. Especially those he was once friends with, those he once trusted, and those he actually sacrificed for.

Maurice and Aubrey didn't start out the best of friends due to Aubrey feeling as though Maurice was trying to take his spot when he first got initiated. But as time went on, the two were purposely forced to work together and do different drops together. They had to comply without fighting, or else that would've been their ass.

Their head leader, Liam, had a vision for the boys. He was sick and he knew he didn't have a lot of time left, but he still made the best of the time he had. He treated both Aubrey and Maurice like sons and wanted them to be like brothers to each other. It worked for a couple years, up until Liam passed away.

Both Maurice and Aubrey had the understanding that they were supposed to divide power, and they both complied with that. But it didn't take long for the power to get to Aubrey's head, him wanting full control and treating the people as though he was the only leader. That caused them to gradually prefer Maurice and hold him to a higher pedestal than Aubrey.

At first, the shift was subtle. Many people remained neutral and respected both boys the same way. But as time went on, Aubrey only became worse and things switched completely. Maurice tried to guide everyone in the direction of respecting both, but it never worked out. Since then, Aubrey always had hidden envy for Maurice.

"You doing all this shit because I ain't trying to be your little sidekick in the shadows?!" Maurice stared at Aubrey for a second before throwing him down on the hard pavement. Those words made him seem desperate and as though he needed Aubrey, when he didn't need anyone.