Infected with Despair

(Spoilers for the end of SDR2)

Silence draped the air like fabric as the three made their way down the dim corridors of the underground passageway. Y/N glanced at the woman dragging their tied wrists and then at the man with silky black hair.

"Before you drag me to my likely doom can I ask some questions?"

"Depends."

"Is that a wig?" Y/N snickered.

"Ack-!" Hajime's hand shot up to the wig, "How did you know?"

"Well there's a bit of brown poking out from underneath... but why do you need a wig?"

Hajime let out a sigh, "I'm going undercover as a man named Izuru Kamakura."

Y/N tilted their head and urged the man to continue, "I guess I might as well explain. The 'group' that wants to kidnap you, I was once a part of it, and I was known as Izuru Kamakura until I snapped out of it and remembered my original identity, but I'm too far in to get out of this mess. Which is why I'm working with Maki here."

Maki nodded and continued dragging the H/Cet by their bound wrists.

"What about that Nagito guy?"

"He's on both sides, as long as the outcome is hope, he'll do whatever." Hajime smiled, "I never know what's going through his mind, he's very interesting."

"So you're gay?"

"What!?"

"He is."

"When did I say that!?"

"When you started being a simp."

"I am not! Also, I might be into both for all you know!"

"Yet you don't deny the gay part." Y/N grinned.

Hajime grumbled still tucking some of his chestnut brown hair into his silky black wig.

Y/N noticed that the floor had become much less damp, and the walls no longer had a rough dirty texture, but instead a smooth marble-like feel. Eventually, lamps started becoming frequent in the passageway illuminating the once dark corridor.

The passageway came to an end as they entered a small room with a single gorgeous carpet laying in the center. At the other wall was an elevator with a chain-link fence as a door. Maki turned around and let out a sigh, "From now on, you have to pretend you never met either of us unless you want us both to die."

Y/N took a large gulp and nodded. The trio slowly made their way into the elevator and then, they descended.

* * *

Through the chain-link fence, Y/N spotted many people, usually one on each floor. They all did their own thing whether it was sucking all the blood out of a poor soul with a syringe to feeding hamsters. 'These people aren't the yakuza.' Y/N noted glancing at each individual.

The H/Cet had to bite their lip to stop them from asking any questions, only able to glare at the ground until the urge faded.

The elevator descended deeper and deeper into the ground, seeming never-ending. Suddenly the silver contraption came to an abrupt stop almost jerking the trio up into the air. The chainlink fence opened on a floor full of metal scraps.

The brunette dragged Y/N by their wrists as Hajime followed. Maki stomped towards the end of the room where a man covered head-to-toe in oil sat, tinkering with some machines that Y/N had never seen before in their life.

Maki's hand shot out, punching the machine making more than a few screws come loose.

"HEY HEY! WATCH IT!" The man took off his mask and threw his wrench at Maki. Maki swiftly dodged and grabbed his wrist. She lifted him up in the air, he winced in pain, bearing his shark-like teeth and he glared at her with eyes filled with murderous rage.

"Keyword: Miss Sonia," Maki growled, letting go of his wrist.

The man blinked a couple of times and his bright pink hair stood up on ends as his eyes glimmered, "Miss Sonia! Where!?" The human highlighter glanced around the room and whimpered.

"You just used my keyword right...?" He sighed slumping back onto the floor.

"Yes." Maki rolled her eyes, "Look, Souda, I need a backup plan in case they find out which side I'm on."

"Wait hold up! How the hell am I supposed to help you? Once I revert back to my despair state I won't even remember this!"

"That's why you're not going to revert back. You'll just act like you did." Maki sighed.

The so-called 'Souda' looked uneasy and nervous. He let out a shaky sigh, "What's in it for me?"

"We'll figure out Nevermind's keyword."

"You said that last time!"

"Kazuichi..." Hajime looked at Souda with a pleading look, "We're so close to finding out who's the mastermind... and... *this* is our chance."

Y/N watched as the three conversed, but confusion filled their mind. Keyword? Mastermind? Despair State? Y/N felt the urge to speak up and ask the questions bubbling in their mind, tempted to interrogate the living shit out of all three of them, but closed their mouth.

Souda looked down and pulled his oil-soaked beanie over his eyes and whimpered, "...Fine..."

"Thank you, I'll get you a date with Sonia for this!" Hajime patted Kazuichi's back with a grin.

"You better keep that promise," Souda mumbled.

Maki had turned around and started dragging Y/N back in the direction of the elevator. Y/N glanced backwards getting another glimpse of the man, only to see something unexpected.

The H/Cet saw another person in the blurriness of their peripheral vision mixed in the swaying movements as they walked.

"Keyword: Miss Sonia..." Y/N heard a voice say from a few metres behind them in a hushed voice. Y/N let out a sharp gasp, and internally panicked, they tugged at Maki's sleeve, only for the brunette to nudge them and tilt her head towards the security cameras.

Their breath quickened as they tried to come up with a solution. Before they knew it, the chain-link fence closed and the elevator descended once more.

* * *

Nagito, Shuichi, and Kokichi made their way back down the corridor in silence, all having their own worries as they prayed for the best. Nagito led them back to the dojo and they climbed out of the hole.

Nagito snuck out of the dojo while Shuichi and Kokichi excused themselves. The air was particularly heavy at the moment as they dragged their feet along the pavement. Shuichi let out a long sigh and looked at the starry night sky. Even if Maki said not to worry, it was hard not to.

"Are you guys up for... karaoke?" Kokichi asked in a meek voice. The purple-haired boy stared at the ground eyebrows kneaded together as he slightly frowned. Shuichi's posture loosened up as he thought of a fun night to get his mind off of things.

"I'm up for it, do you want to join?" Shuichi turned to Nagito. The albino's eyes widened as if he had never been invited to anything before and nodded, smiling to himself. 

The three of them walked down the sidewalk, moonlight shining through their dirty hair from the remains of the tunnel. But even walking under the starry night sky wasn't as safe as it may have seemed.

"Target: Spotted."

(Originally I was going to have this be a 2000 word chapter just to treat you all, but I didn't want to delay this any further. Anyway, Merry Christmas, see you all next time! :D)