03; Faint Touches

The Foundation upon which our love has been building won't let it collapse
For it is He who holds souls together;
It is He who binds them to never let them fall
–H

❥⁠˙⁠๑

Her

She wonders if she can understand Adam.

The ceremony held down passed away smoothly. She was with Adam every time like invisible threads of fate were not ready to let them walk away even for a while the night. Barak was also with them but the keen guests didn't let him speak to his parents. All the while, they were busy receiving compliments, blessings, and gifts. Especially Evalena.

The new bride got so much love from the Dawood family and its relatives and friends. She was glad to meet new people and every one of them was blessing their relationship. The girl was selfless. Without giving a second thought, she was ready to come and live for Adam and his child. Even though she was well aware of the heartbreak she was going to receive in the midst of this all or at the end of this journey. She doesn't know when but she doesn't care though.

She has already been drowning and they ask if she is afraid of getting wet.

However, the reason for her confusion regarding Adam was his behavior. Last night he said she couldn't expect anything from him but this night, he was treating her like a bride should be treated by her husband.

Through the ceremony, he didn't let go of her hand.

The intensity of his grip might have reduced to a feather touch but the touch was present. Sometimes he interlaced their fingers like he would never let her go or sometimes he gently brushed their hands together like seeking comfort just by a mere touch like it could give him another life.

It was new for Evalena.

Every time he pushed up her bangles just to hold her hand firmly, she would feel her heart skipping beats and then thud inside as those bangles jiggled.

From a man so tall and muscular enough to unnerve anyone, she wasn't expecting faint touches like mild and pleasing sunrays of the autumn dawn kissing her skin. He was mindful of her exquisiteness while holding her hand like he was afraid of breaking her in the moment.

Like a glass doll, he treated her. She wondered how she looked through his eyes; his perspective.

Every time someone blessed them, she would steal glimpses of him. He only smiled in return which he does always. What else do you expect from a gentleman? But she wondered if he felt the way she felt whenever the guests complimented that they looked so good together.

She knew she was in his mind. Doesn't matter if she died years ago. Evalena knows she breathes in his memories, she is still alive in his heart. And every time she thinks about her, she can't help but feel an ache of discomfort in her bosom but can it help her in any way? It's better if she tries to look beyond it.

She still blooms like a cherry blossom when the memory of their ceremony passes through her mind. It's night and anyone can't accuse her if she dreams of him. Again and again.

Women are talking around her but she is lost. Her friend sits beside her, giggling as the women crack silly jokes but she is busy fooling in her mind with deceptive thoughts. So what if he doesn't love her? She loves him. She loves him a lot and she is proud of it.

When they were together, amidst admiring eyes and mouths that blessed them without ceasing, she recalls him putting an arm around her shoulders just to pose for a family picture.