18; Obvious Hatred

Her

Two doctors come out of the ward, whispering to each other behind their masks as they pass by Evalena's side. She steals a glance at them when Adam's arm comes to hold her shoulder. It gets her attention as she looks up at him, giving him a small smile.

The restlessness she has been feeling since she entered the building with the intention of seeing Nicole now seems to fade away just by a single gesture of assurance that Adam shows to her.

He smiles back and they walk inside to meet Nicole. Inside, there are her parents, too. Her father stands up, walking up to Adam as they greet each other and indulge in a conversation after the old man acknowledges Evalena's greeting and smiles at her kindly which she appreciates.

While the men talk, Evalena leaves Adam's embrace, walking up to Nicole. She greets Nicole's mother but there's no response from her side, unlike Nicole's father. Not even a small gesture.

However, Evalena doesn't remain there. She doesn't crave her attention or her response to her greetings.

Her mother gives Evalena a stink eye which Evalena isn't aware of. She stands beside Nicole's bed as she asks, "How are you doing?"

Nicole rolls her eyes, as expected. She doesn't even wish to hide her hatred towards Evalena. But the woman doesn't care about her hatred. She sighs under her breath, knowing very well that Nicole won't speak even if she tries once again.

She scans her body that's hidden under the blanket and her head is bandaged, showing her main injury covered.

"Uh... she's doing fine. Just not in the mood to speak with anyone," her mother speaks for her, looking up at Evalena.

"I see."

Nicole scoffs, turning her neck to look away from Evalena. Her gaze lands upon Adam and they soften in an instant. The sight of the man of her dreams makes her smile like a child. The smile is innocent and dreamy, way too visible to be ignored at first attempt.

Evalena watches her eyes' destination but doesn't make a comment to throw at her even though her heart burns. Call her typical but she doesn't like women gawking at her husband. To her, he is only hers. Not even as a sight, she wishes to share him with anyone. Well, don't blame her but she is a woman who treasures her husband who is no less than a gemstone in her possession.

"Don't stress your poor neck," says Evalena as a light chide, that makes Nicole frown.

"Your face isn't something very pleasant even to look at. Spare my poor eyes." Her bitter answer makes Evalena roll her eyes while Nicole's mother chuckles.

That's unexpected as well as absurd to Evalena. She knows that none of them are very fond of her but they feel it quite necessary to make it obvious. Like they want the entire world to know it. Both mother and daughter don't hide their bitterness towards her. She can understand Nicole's bitterness but what wrong she ever did to her mother, she wonders.

On the other hand, Adam moves to stand beside Evalena so he can meet Nicole after he has conversed with Nicole's father. He greets Nicole's mother, coming to his wife.

Evalena has no idea what they talked about and no women among them even tried to eavesdrop, being busy with each other.

"Hey, hope you're doing well," says Adam with his usual self. A smile adorns his lips.

Nicole immediately nods at him with a bright smile. A moment ago, someone said she was in no mood to converse, no?

"Don't trouble your neck. Your doctor has forbidden unnecessary usage of it," Adam reminds her, taking a seat while Evalena stands beside him.