23; Late-night Confessions

Him

"Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured." The doctor pushes his hands into the pocket, tipping his head. "She doesn't have much time. She needs to be taken care of now very carefully."

A look of hopelessness, that's what his face reflects. His eyes are watery and not lively anymore. His heart has found no comfort these days and now, he does not even think it will ever receive comfort.

"Any other way? Like anything that can help her, doctor?" He asks desperately.

"Nothing, Mr Dawood. The disease is incurable."

With that said, he excuses himself. He walks away, leaving the lost man behind. For the first time, he thinks he has lost everything. Like everything is getting plundered from his very open hands and he can do nothing except watch it happening.

Tears leave his eyes, and he looks at the closed door of his wife's room which she has kept under watch and care.

His feet lead him ahead and he peeks inside. A nurse is collecting the stuff and walks out, greeting Adam on the way.

"How long?" He asks, absent-mindedly, staring with dead eyes at his wife who lies with closed eyes.

"Three months, Dr Gomez told me."

Nodding his head, he walks inside. The door is closed and he walks to his wife, sitting beside her. He stares at her face, bringing his hand to caress her forehead, and right then, her eyes open.

"I thought you were sleeping," he says, voice coming out deep, laced with agony, "I'm sorry for disturbing you."

She shakes her head, smiling at him. "These tubes," she says, glancing down at the back of her palm. Adam follows her gaze, hearing her say, "They hurt."

He purses his lips, lifting his gaze to her. The look in her bright blue eye, as he witnesses, a very deep and lovely look of love and satisfaction like she thirsted for him and now is quenched, is pleasing as well as hurting to him. How painful it is for him to realize that he won't be able to behold them anymore.

"Don't worry, they won't remain for long." He puts her hand in his, wrapping his fingers around very tenderly. He starts caressing the skin, hoping it will give her some comfort where it hurts and he is right. The warmth, the feather touch, and his sweet presence give her a lot of comfort.

"How long do I have to be here?"

"Just one more day."

"Finally." She sighs. "I don't like hospitals. Your friend, Evalena, is the only girl I like here. Others are rude and grumpy."

He smiles, humming, "And?"

"And the smell, eww. I feel like vomiting."

"And?"

"I don't like this hospital gown either. The color is dull. All the while, I missed you. How badly I wanted to annoy you today also, adding bliss to it, but I couldn't."

He chuckles, shaking his head. He looks at her and leans closer. He tilts his head and says lovingly, "Well, this night, nobody can disturb us. Annoy me as much as you like."

She chuckles, holding her chest. Adam notices it but says nothing, even though his heart saddens because he knows the reason. It hurts her but she is used to the pain now and complains not even a single word. How badly he wishes to take that pain and free her from it.