01; Hurting Hearts

Let the Most Benevolent guide me to my heart's deepest desire, that is you.
—H

♡❥⁠˙⁠๑

Her

As the man, in the twilight of his years, casts his gaze upon the couple standing before him, he beholds a beauty that transcends the ages. The softness in his eyes speaks volumes of his heart's contentment. For he has long held gatherings such as these, weaving threads of kinship and unity. And now, as he stands before the Holy One, the serenity that washes over him is a testament to the magic of bringing souls together.

A sacred bond such as marriage, he has witnessed enough and it brings peace to him to know how beautifully the Lord has made man and woman for each other.

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh," the man says, loudly enough to be heard by everyone who has gathered there to witness the beautiful bond. He continues, "Says the Word of God."

Beyond the net that veils her countenance, her eyes are uplifted, seeking a glimpse of his visage. His Word, like a beacon of illumination to guide her path, fills her heart with a fluttering sensation. She knows the words are woven with threads of their shared destiny. Yes, she knows intimately.

Fiery orbs ablaze with an intensity that could set souls alight, gaze upon her. Though their heat warms her as it always has, she cannot ignore the sting of sorrow and remorse that lingers within. Does the thought of their union cause him such anguish? The question echoes in her mind, a haunting melody that refuses to fade. She finds herself unable to bear the pain etched in those eyes any longer, and thus lowers her gaze, seeking refuge from the heartache.

"For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ has loved the church. He gave up his life for her." The old man gazes at the man before him, speaking, "Will you have this woman as your lawfully wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health; for richer and for poorer, forsaking all others, and keep yourself only to her, as long as you both shall live?"

"I do." Though the voice is low, the tone is firm.

Now, the bride has the man's attention. He smiles gently, ministering to her, "Will you have this man as your lawfully wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health; for richer and for poorer, forsaking all others, and keep yourself only to him, so long as you both shall live?"

And so she remained resolute, for her heart knew no other way. The pledge to stand by his side, unwavering and firm, flowed from her with ease. From the moment their paths intertwined, in the innocence of youth, she knew that her heart belonged to him. Their connection was pure, and her love for him was true, without a shadow of doubt or deceit.

"I do," she says with honesty.

"What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate." All of a sudden, her palms go sweaty. Hand in hand, he can feel it. When the priest announces, "You may kiss the bride, gentleman."

As her velvety lids lift, he releases her hand and unfurls the lacy veil that curtains her. His orbs, as bright as the brightest star in the heliocentrism system, falls upon her countenance, now aglow with a flush. He lowers his eyes, and his palm cradles her cheek with tenderness. Tilting his head, he draws near, and her heart drums louder in her chest. At the corner of her mouth, his lips alight, sparking a flame of expectancy within her. Yet, in that fleeting moment, he withdraws, shattering her dreams of a deeper enchantment. How could she have dared to desire more, she wonders, as the stars above whisper their mysteries.