14; Loved Ones

Letting go is like medicine. We drink it despite its bitter taste; in order to heal.

—Anonymous

❥⁠˙⁠๑

Him

He dismisses a breath of relief as he stands at the threshold of his home sweet home. Mist appears as the weather is cold, mixing into the air and disappearing in a moment. He enters the gates and is welcomed by a maid who bows before him as soon as she catches a sight of him.

Acknowledging her, he moves inside. His gaze remains on the stairs as he makes his way up to their room when Barak comes from behind, calling him.

He turns to smile at his boy.

"Welcome home, Daddy!" He comes to him with a drawing file. "How was your day?" He asks excitedly.

"Good. What about yours?" He leaves the strap of his bag and crouches beside his son to match their level.

"Very good! Today I made a drawing of our family and I wanna show you that!" He immediately opens his drawing file and shows Adam a page where he drew himself with his parents.

Adam stares at the picture. Barak points at the picture and says, "This is you." Adam smiles, watching his son proceed with another character. "This is me," he continues, putting his finger on the last character, saying, "And this is Mama!"

Adam caresses his son's cheek, adoring the picture in his eyes.

"How's it, Daddy?"

"Beautiful."

"Mama said the same." He grins, looking behind himself. Adam follows his gaze as Evalena comes to stand behind Barak, folding her arms on her chest. Adam smiles at her but Evalena returns it with blankness. Adam gets confused, however, Barak snatches his attention.

"I made another drawing and there's Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle An, and Aunt Elle, too! Would you see?"

"Of course. But lemme change first. Then I'll see your drawings, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy!"

He goes upstairs with his bag while Evalena stays downstairs with Barak, taking care of him. He comes after changing into comfy wear and asks Evalena for a cup of coffee while he sits with Barak to fulfill his promise of checking his drawing book.

"Daddy," Barak calls him softly while Adam is turning a page.

Adam hums, looking up from the page. He meets with the innocent bright blue eyes of his son.

"My teacher talked about a meeting at school."

Though Barak doesn't know how to explain himself, Adam gets the point in an instant and says, "Oh, I got it. Parents-teacher meeting, right?"

"Yes."

"So what's your wish?" Adam smiles gently, putting aside the book. He hears the gentle sound of Evalena approaching them. He knows she is with a cup of coffee as he asked, so he stretches out his hand to receive it like he does every time but to his confusion repeated, she puts the cup before him and leaves the living room without saying anything.

While Barak is busy fidgeting his fingers, contemplating how he should give out his wish, Adam looks over his shoulder at Evalena who is no more there in his sight. He frowns in distaste. Evalena has been behaving differently, after all. He needs to talk to her.

"Will you please talk to her parents?" Barak asks, getting his father's attention.

"Which girl?"

"My classmate." Barak shrugs. "Even though I'm trying to be good, she keeps teasing me. Today, she said that I'm not your son."