05; Fatal Wounds

He preserves, he cares
He counts on my tears,
Oh, what a munificent man You've given me, Lord Almighty!
My pain that is, he shares
-H

❥⁠˙⁠๑

Her

"I'm so happy to see you, Dean!" Evalena smiles at him. Her bright green eyes hold affection for her elder brother.

He smiles back, feeling the same emotions bubbling inside him after seeing his sister for a long time. He can't help but hug her again, feeling overwhelmed by the urge to keep her before his eyes to make sure she is safe. Forever. He is a protective brother.

"Me too. I'm sorry I couldn't attend the ceremony," his deep voice reminds her of the night when she missed him so much.

All of a sudden, the brightness in her eyes starts to cease as she falls at the mercy of its remembrance. In her family, her brother loves her the most.

"It's okay, don't remind me of that. I might sue you," she jokes, making him chuckle. "What about Dad, how's he?" She asks after she gathers the courage.

The seriousness of her question snatches his smile. He nods. "He's doing fine. We planned on settling back in New York."

"I see. He isn't fond of India very much."

Dean purses his lips. "You know the actual reason." He looks away at the bright blue sky and he smiles upon realizing they are as blue as Barak's eyes. "But you don't have to overthink about it, sister."

"I won't. I just wanna know how he's doing in his life from time to time. I can't stop worrying about him."

"Then rest your heart, sister. I'll take care of Dad." He puts an arm around her shoulders, giving her a side hug as an assurance.

She smiles at him. "I believe." And she looks away, too. A flight takes off before her eyes and she whispers, "Will he ever forgive me?"

"He will. He can't remain angry with you. If nothing else, he's your father."

"You're so bad at telling me that he loves me!" She punches his arm and he laughs. Her punch did not hurt him at all.

"I don't like to talk about him when I'm with you. We both know his previous treatment of you. He doesn't care, Lena."

It hurts her to know the reality but it is true. After what decision she has made, she can't expect him to forgive her so easily. She has hurt him so badly but still, she believes he will forgive her. Someday or the other.

She swallows, nodding her head. "He doesn't want you to meet me often, that's why he's thinking about New York, right?" She looks at him for an answer and he looks away, confirming her suspicion. She did not have to think deeply. She is right.

"He argues every time I mention you before him, so nobody talks about you at home. It's hard to make him understand. He's an arrogant man, Lena."

She sighs. "Hold your tongue, Dean."

"Of course." He rolls his eyes, murmuring a sorry under his breath that is audible enough to be heard by the divine Creator of everything.

"And what about your husband? Is he treating you well?"

There is something about the way he asks her. Like he does not expect much from her husband either. Protective brother, after all. If he could, he would have pampered his sister for his lifetime but she chose someone else over everyone and he respects her decision.

"Do you doubt him?" She narrows her eyes at him.

He arches a brow at her. "You can't expect me to shower him with roses after the way he treated you alone. He, too, is like others in my eyes. So, Lena, tell me how he's treating you."