07; Cruel Suggestions

Through brokenness, He creates beauty. Why do we delay then?

—H

❥⁠˙⁠๑

Her

Her husband is a sight to behold.

She divulges it. She knows her spouse is very handsome and has that manly aura that can draw in anyone's gaze. Like the moon that summons you to look at it for once. Just for once? And you lose it. Your eyes betray. That's how his aura operates. He doesn't need to speak, his presence is enough that demand attention and they merrily submit to it.

She knows how we all are made.

With soil, we are made. But in his case, she thinks conceivably the clay was kneaded with rosewater.

He is amicable and warm. His smile is like a glimpse of the sun in winter days. His eyes accompany that smile. When he does, the skin around his eyes creases and the dip in his cheeks allures anyone to steal occasional glances.

She can't help but think of his eyes once again. Pools of honey in paradise.

Oh, her heart faints every time she thinks of them. Those eyes are enchanting. Will hypnotize you. Lure you into an idyll if you wonder if it even exists. Those honey spheres, dusted with gold from above will propel you into a charm of the first heaven, will show you a glimpse of the second heaven, and will put you before the very gates of the third heaven.

They are magical, so beautiful and so bewitching, that now Evalena feels envious of any stranger who would look into his eyes even accidentally.

She nibbles on her bottom lip, the sudden thought disrupts her.

How many would have looked into them already? Get mesmerized? Passed him a smile?

She feels a pang of jealousy hitting her heart just by thinking of it. And soon the pang vanishes as she learns she has no right to be jealous of others.

What right does she have on him? They are wedded for the world but only they know what goes between them behind closed doors. She wonders if Adam would give her a chance.

"Adam?"

"Hmm?"

"Have I... have I really l-lost your trust?" She steals her gaze to the ground as he turns to glance at her. Suddenly the book in his hand has lost all attention to Evalena.

Silence prevails between them as Adam takes some time to answer her. He sighs, the sound of which reaches her through the thick stillness. She waits for him as he turns back and she catches a glimpse of hurt in his eyes. However, the darkness around conceals it and his eyes fall back upon the book.

"Put a hand on your chest, Eva—where your heart resides—and then, ask yourself. You'll know the answer better than my words can tell."

And she knew what he meant.

"Lena?"

The call cracks her trance. She grips her mobile and steals a glance at her friend who is walking beside her. She hums, signaling her friend to continue.

"I said take care. What were you thinking?" her friend adds with a smile, patting her shoulder.

Evalena nods. "You too. I just zoned out."

"I see. But don't zone out often!" She waves her goodbye before parting ways.

Evalena walks out only to find her husband leaning against his car, waiting for her. His arms fold on his chest, sleeves of his dark brown jacket roll up to his elbows. Autumn has arrived and the chill breeze cuts through her fair delicate skin. She hugs herself, moving ahead.