21; Was Lost

Her

Her father is in the living room, talking with the family members while Evalena is watching him from afar. Hiding behind the wall that separates the kitchen area and the living room, she is gazing at her father with yearning in her bright green eyes. Her hands clutch the wall tightly like she is still afraid of him, even though they have a huge distance between them.

Do not ask her why she is so timid before her father! She is just this way.

Biting her bottom lip, she walks back into the kitchen to check the tea she is making for him and the others and her mind goes to Adam. She feels that it was Adam who invited her father for the celebration or she does not think that her father would come under the same roof as hers by his own free will.

Is he forced?

The thought alone saddens her heart. How badly she wants him to love her freely!

She stares at the liquid that is boiling before her eyes and suddenly her eyes are filled with tears as she remembers her past.

She recalls his anger, his resentment towards her last time. He did not even want to see her face. He literally kicked her out of the house. Though he was not behaving like a caveman at that time, he surely told her firmly to leave or he would leave the house because her face was not something to look at every time for him. He despised her appearance from then.

She left, not wishing for him to leave the house he had built on his efforts.

While she is still sinking into the melancholy, Adam enters the kitchen. Seeing the boiling tea coming out of the pot, he strides to the marble slab and turns off the stove. Holding her arm, he asks, "Where are you lost?"

Evalena comes out of the trance and looks at Adam who stands beside her. She then looks down at the marble slab and the place is ruined because of tea flown out of the pot. She sighs, mumbling, "Sorry."

"Of course." He shrugs, shaking his head.

He leaves her arm and starts pouring the tea into the cups while she ignores his question and asks, "Was it you who invited my dad?"

"Yeah," he answers honestly, "Don't you want to celebrate Christmas with him?"

Evalena sighs deeply, "I thought by what you heard from me that night, you'd realize that things between me and him aren't well?"

"Yeah, I concluded so, but things don't remain the same till the end. Nothing is permanent, Eva."

"And you think my dad would forgive me for what I have done in naivety?"

"I think he has forgiven you long before." Evalena frowns, watching him as he turns to her after arranging the cups and holding the tray. He gives it to her, adding, "Just know that he loves you. You're to him as you were when you were a child. It's just his anger and maybe you two never talked with each other in peace. Now if you do, you'd discover something new."

Evalena holds the tray, silently listening to him while Adam smiles at her.

"Now go and serve them," he says, patting her cheek.

She obeys and goes out. Putting the tray on the table, she steals a glance at her father who does not look in her direction. He is busy in a conversation with Christian, Adam's father, and genuinely looks happy to see him. After all, they know each other.

She fetches the cups to her father-in-law and her father. Her father-in-law gives her a kind gesture, and her grandfather-in-law gives her blessings but her father remains silent, averting his gaze as soon as she is in front of him. She does not understand her father very clearly but one thing as she has learned while living with Adam, she can look deeper into her father and feel that he is restless from within.