19; Intoxicated Eyes

Her

The heel of her boots hit the bitumen pavement as she ran straight to the graveyard where she needed to see her beloved mother.

Her heart is beating frantically and her face is buzzing pink. Cold air cuts through her delicate skin and there is turmoil inside her, troubling her whole being.

She pants for the air, reaching the entrance. A stoned woman that stands on the side of the path gives her support as she puts her palm there, her eyes searching for the people clothed in black; funeral attire.

She finds none and that leaves her restless. She goes inside, urgent steps hitting the soil and trampling the grass under her black boots. Her muffler isn't in its right place anymore, hanging by her shoulder but she has no attention to pay for anything.

Before her eyes, the fog doesn't let her see afar. There are huge trees around her, roots dangling from above as most of them are banyan. There is no sound of birds on the trees but ravens have their dwellings on the branches.

She passes many graves and buried personalities. Flowers had grown around the hard stones and mud had covered some nameplates. It is like nobody comes to the place anymore after they have buried their loved ones.

At a little distance, a group of people dressed in black clothes meet her eyes. She hurriedly goes to them, pushing people aside as they stand in the way.

Her heart pounds inside her chest as her gaze lands upon a casket and she strides to it. She has lost any record of words and her hands tremble out of anticipation.

She grabs an arm, pushing away the man who held the casket to put it inside the pit that they had dug.

"Ma..." Her throat contracts and her knees give up. She falls before the casket, eyes flooding with tears as they don't hold back anymore. She palms her mouth, crying bitterly and regretting over her fate and mistakes.

The fact that her mother is no more and she wasn't even informed about it until it was the day of her funeral is killing her soul. A deep impact it has on her. Her soul has fainted inside the shell and her heart shriveled. It hurts so bad like bleeding unstoppably and Evalena owns no strength to fight this agony but it attacks her constantly. This is the biggest regret of her life.

It was only her brother who let her know about this all. He only said a few words when she answered his call, "Mama is no more." Like he has been holding his anger because Evalena never answered the calls from home. The reason behind his resentment was that Evalena was called urgently to meet Gabriella—her mother, because she was on her deathbed but Evalena was careless enough to ignore them. Gabriella's illness was sucking her soul out of her system and the doctors answered that she won't be able to make it up. But Evalena, blinded by her stubbornness and grievances that she held with her parents, never even realized the true state of her mother.

The father and the son, both were disappointed with Evalena but Dean, being a responsible man and a brother, let her know in a few words. Now it depended on Evalena if she would come to her mother's funeral or remain disappointed even with a dead person.

Evalena, shaken by the news, had to catch an urgent flight and come straight to the graveyard because nobody was waiting for her in their house.

This usually happens when you break the hearts of your loved ones.

All the while Gabriella longed to see Evalena but she never even let her hear her voice. Gabriella loved her immensely and the teen had no idea of it. How cruel anger, disappointment, and unforgiveness are, ask Evalena, who could not even see her mother for the last time because of them.