02; Sparks Fly

I tell God about him. There's a place in my prayer that only belongs to him.
—H

❥⁠˙⁠๑

Her

Her heart gets comforted with peace that her husband is here but in a second, his presence becomes the reason for the tickles that her heart bears.

"Adam." She gets up from the vanity, turning to behold him. The small movement causes the silk of her nightgown to whirl a bit. She sees him standing upright before the door, looking down at her with a blank expression.

She may not be as skilled as him in reading eyes but she knows what they hold and what they hide.

"You haven't slept yet?" He asks casually, pushing himself away from the door. He can't ignore the sweet fragrance of flower petals spread over their bed, which dominates the room. Along with that, he notices the pyramid of gifts they received at their wedding. But all that excites him to nothing. He ignores them like ignoring the air. His steps take him to where he can hang his jacket while he asks another question, "And I thought Barak would be with you?"

Evalena stands silently, watching him sitting on the bed and removing his shoes. His back is towards her. He doesn't look at her but surely expects answers from her.

"I was waiting for you," her soft voice caresses his ears as she reasons with him, getting his attention as quickly as the answer ends.

Under the warm glow of their room, his eyes glow with softness. They don't shut her up. Instead, they allure her soul into giving in to answer his second question. That's how hypnotizing they are.

"And Barak is with Elle." A tint of pink kisses her cheeks which doesn't go unnoticed by Adam as she continues, "She suggested him, considering we'll be spending time together."

He sighs, looking away. Sitting straight but not wishing to look at her as if he wouldn't be able to bear the ink of sadness coalescing into her eyes if she heard what he would come to speak next.

"Eva, it'd be better for you not to expect anything from me except for the respect and honor that I'll give you no matter what." And as he supposed, her heart sank into the pit of the blues. However, he can't see them, which encourages him to continue, "It hurts when expectations break. It shatters the heart, and faints the soul."

With that said, he gets up and walks into the bathroom, eschewing to look at her. He knew if he did, guilt would come to oppress him and he already bears enough. Doesn't he know how poisonous guilt is to the withered soul and troubled heart? He knows that, all too well. And he isn't ready to bear any more of it.

Once she hears the faint clicking sound that indicates that the door has closed, she swallows the hurt that aches too bad.

He says she shouldn't have expectations with him but he doesn't know she expects more than that, and she wonders, how would it feel to be loved by Adam. For Adam is the only man she has dreamt of.

She hears the sprinkling of water that comes from the bathroom, indicating him taking a shower.

She comforts her heart and walks towards the huge bed in the middle of their room. All the while, making her hair into a braid. She sits on the edge of it, not knowing what to do because sleep doesn't come to sit heavily upon her eyelids, no matter how tiring the day was for her.

"Am I really so unlovable that my husband can't even let me dream of it from him?" She asks, knowing very well that the Omnipresent hears her. And she wants the answer. "What more do I ask except for him?" She sighs, enjoying the moment she has gotten unearned.