17; Nicole's Wellbeing

Him

After he has discussed the matter with the doctor, he turns to his wife who is sitting on a bench. She has covered her face with her hands as she is bent a little. Her hands tremble and he can see it while her lips move in an inaudible prayer. She looks so vulnerable.

He goes to her and puts a hand on her shoulder, halting all her movements but not her hands that tremble.

She looks up at him, asking, "What did they say?" Her voice is low, almost in a whisper. It wavers a little as anticipation runs through her mind.

"She'll be fine," he mumbles, his hands reaching her face. He wipes away her tears gently with his handkerchief and pushes away the strands of her hair. Her chin wobbles almost like it can't be noticed without paying hard attention but he sees it, not liking any of it.

He likes her smiling.

"She lost too much blood but don't worry, they have the blood group," he says further, putting down his handkerchief.

She unconsciously follows the movement of his hand and her gaze falls upon his gray jacket that has huge blotches of blood. It troubles her heart and her mind replays the memory of what happened when Nicole fell.

Not a moment later, Adam arrived as it was the time of his shift over, and he was shocked to find Nicole's condition. He delayed not even a bit and carried her in his arms to his car. He drove straight to the city hospital and they admitted her.

It's been an hour and he hasn't breathed peacefully at all. He has been busy with the doctors while she has been crying over Nicole's accident and praying to God that nothing would happen to her. Being a doctor herself, she knows she is not a healer, nor are the other doctors.

Her only hope is God because He is the ultimate healer.

Without her knowledge, tears leave her eyes. They are already weary and red. Adam sighs, cupping her face to grab her attention.

"Hey, look at me," he says softly, having those living eyes on himself in an instant. He smiles as an assurance, adding, "They said she'll be alright, okay? And of course, God has heard you and has seen your tears. He'll heal Nicole."

"Amen," is all she murmurs as her eyelids rest for a fleeting moment.

He kisses her temple before turning and they sit for a while in silence. She rests her head on his bicep and he holds her hand, interlocking their fingers. It comforts her, he knows it well and, therefore, leaves not a single room for complaint. His presence is soothing and no doubt why God said, "...and they shall become one." How beautifully He has made men and women and has bound them in a relationship, she feels it whenever she looks at Adam; whenever she is around him, and whenever he holds her.

And so the way she knows that the Lord loves this world.

They sit like that as minutes pass. Evalena expects news about Nicole's well-being only, and Adam knows he can trust God in all things and later be grateful to Him for all He has done.

Minutes turn into an hour and Adam feels her head rolling down. He immediately reaches out to touch her forehead so that she won't fall.

Her nap breaks and she stares at him in confusion. "What?" She whispers, blinking at him.

"I should've asked Ethan to take you home," he says while taking out his mobile, "Anyway, you should leave now. Barak needs you more."

"And what about you?"

"Let's see what the doctor would say. I'll let you know. If I needed to stay a night, I'd tell you." He goes to dial Ethan as he says while Evalena watches him silently, folding her arms on her chest.