15; Lovely Gestures

The sweetness of his proximity makes her forget everything. She wonders if this is the bliss of falling truly in love.

—H.

❥⁠˙⁠๑

Her

"Aren't you coming?" asks Reumah, entering the room as she walks freely and effortlessly in her high heels. It hits the floor, alarming Evalena of her presence.

Raising her eyes from a file, she glances at her friend. "Just in a minute. This man needs surgery," she mumbles under her breath with a slow sigh, not liking how infirmity catches people and they have to bear pain even though it's for a while.

"He surely does but you can't do this operation now, can you? Let's leave!" Reumah exclaims, "You've been trying to indulge in work more than necessary. What's wrong?"

Reumah asks straight because she can't hold it anymore. It's been three days since of her noticing Evalena. She doesn't talk much, nor does she smile. She is always busy with her patients and not even taking breaks. Reumah noticed it and tried to ask on the first day but Evalena wasn't ready to speak much. She only let Reumah know that things between her and Adam haven't been going well lately.

"I told you, Reu," she says, closing the file and getting up.

"Is he even trying?" Reumah frowns, aiming at Adam to release a mocking arrow if the answer isn't according to her liking.

"He does," the answer saves Adam.

"Oh, what does he do to convince you?" She asks again, walking to the glass walls of her office, and to her amazement, she finds Adam standing beside his car. Of course, he is there for his wife.

The man stands patiently there and Reumah has no idea how he has been waiting for Evalena there. Doesn't he get tired of it? Because Reumah has seen men having interest in their women just in a while but Adam shows her something else.

She doesn't tell Evalena. Rather, she waits for an answer. Meanwhile, the girl is packing her stuff so she can leave. Today, she is leaving early compared to other doctors.

"Well, he brings me flowers," answers Evalena from behind.

Reumah smiles, catching the sight of a bouquet in Adam's hand. She is right. He brings her flowers. But that isn't all. He makes her tea, tries to initiate a conversation between them, and also gets up before her and makes her breakfast. It's been three days and he has been trying since those days but is unable to get her talking with him.

What else does he try?

Anything, but he isn't someone who can give up this easily. Patience is a virtue and he believes it. She is not anyone but his wife. No matter what, he will be always going to stand by her side. No matter how far she tried to walk away from him, he'd always been waiting for her at the point they departed so she could follow her way back to him. She'll always find him there.

What an irony!

She was the one who fell first and thought that she'd always be longing for him but here, it's Adam who is holding onto her, not wanting even the smallest of trouble to bother them.

He has vowed to her, after all.

"Of course," were the words Reumah whispered before she and her friends parted ways.

Evalena walks to Adam, noticing white lilies in his hand this time. He smiles at her like he does each time. A breeze passes through, between them, caressing his hair as a few strands get tousled over his forehead. His smile looks young this way and his eyes are golden.