Sudden

Chapter Two
(City of Harland, - Present)

~Aria~

I awoke with his name on my lips. Sweat covered every inch of me as I stared at the large chamber bed. I felt my head spin as I swung my legs over the edge and stood. I hurried to the bathroom, washing away the sweat and tears I had shed. How much longer would these dreams consist? Every night was a different dream. It made no sense. One moment I was young and full of life working a farm ground full of crops and the next I was being attacked by a haunting face deformed by fire.

Dathan...The name was old fashioned and rarely heard of, yet it was powerful enough to bring a chill over my skin. I stared into the mirror, my large brown eyes heavy with sleep. Taking a towel I wiped at the droplets of water running down my face.

"When is all this going to end?" I whispered, as I looked down to my bare feet. The dreams had begun to haunt me even while awake. I hated them, hated living a life where I had no clue what would happen next. There were times were I would wake in my dream only to find myself in a tryst, my body being lavished by his lips and hands. Then at times I would find myself crying near a fountains edge.

"You're going crazy, Aria." I muttered. The sound of my screeching alarm alerted me that it was time for me to gather my wits and hop into the shower. Working for Heart Industries wasn't all it was cracked up to be if you were stuck in a cubicle. Even the name itself brought a terrible chill over me as I proceeded to brush my teeth and then strip.

None of us working in the thirtieth floor ever got to see a Heart. We were even lucky if we got to see a glimpse of their fading silhouette walking towards their car from our window. Even then we couldn't be too certain that it was one of them. They drove the most expensive cars and married the most beautiful men or women. They were royalty by Harland law. Their family dynasty stretched as far as the eye could see.

Harland had come a long way from being one of the richest cities in the states. As the years went by the wealth in the city grew because of the Hearts. The City itself owed the family for keeping them at the top of the wealth line. Every year at the start of the crop season there was a celebration held for the Heart Dynasty. Many gathered for the free food and show the city always put on. I had never gone to one, it had become tradition in our family for many years now. Ever since my great, great grandfather had a dispute with a Heart we had withdrawn from their very presence.

Ironic how I happened to work for the Hearts, but it was inevitable now that they owned much of the market. They had not only invested in crops but as the years went by they began to buy out the many people that had started small businesses. They sold every product you could think of. A clothing line for men and woman, lingerie, electronics, and even fast food. They had construction companies and insurance companies. Soon I was certain the City of Harland would be named the City of Heart.

I felt my mouth grow sour as I thought of it. Instead of focusing on their wealth and good fortune I began to worry about mine. I hurried to dress in my usual business trousers and white buttoned up shirt. My long brown hair was pinned in a bun without a single hair out of place. That is the way the company demanded it. We walked around the building looking like old women. But what did it matter anyway, no one would bother to look in our direction. We were forbidden to have any relationship with our co-workers so we had turned ourselves into drones.

As I pushed my feet into my black plain heels I always used, I heard my second alarm go off. With a slap to the buzzer I made my bed, had my breakfast, and hurried out of my apartment building. Another large amount of paperwork awaited me and I was not looking forward to it.