Step One

Chapter Fourteen

~Aria~

I felt my heart leap with anticipation. My cast was coming off today and I was desperate to start my physical therapy to bring my limp limb back to life. Jim held fast to my hand as the doctor carefully went about cutting through the thick layers. My mother sat patiently at my other side, if her purse had a pulse it would be turning purple right about now. I smiled nervously as he reached the top of my knee. He removed the cast gently and I felt the cold of room touch my sensitive skin.

Closing my eyes tight I tried to control my breathing. I knew that my leg wouldn't look the way it once did, but to what extreme was it completely ruined?

"It's okay, you can look, it's really not that bad." Jim whispered.

I felt a tear slip from my eyes as I finally opened them and looked down to my pale skin. A nervous laughter escaped me to see that the marred skin on my shin was slowly healing into a light pink scar.

"Now Aria, keep in mind that although your leg might look good on the outside, I must admit that some of the nerves inside your leg have been permanatly damange. Like this are here," Dr. Calihan pointed out. His gloved hands pressed against my shin, gently adding pressure to the marred skin. "Can you feel that?" He asked. I shook my head and he nodded and went about touching just a little above my knee. "And here?" He asked yet again.

I shook my head once again. When I felt Jim's hand squeeze down on my shoulder I lifted my gaze to look at him. I realized then I was crying, I was dissapointed and sadded that I would forever need the use of a knee brace to help me walk.

"You are extremely lucky to still have the use of your leg, Aria. Many victims have needed amputation. We are hoping that with the surgery you underwent you will be able to recover swimmingly." He said.

I looked away from the balding aged doctor and hid my face into my hands. It could have been a lot worse. I could have ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

"Aria, it's gonna be alright, I'm not gonna leave your side, I promise that I will do all that I can to help you." Jim whispered.

The car ride home had me feeling a little drained and tired. All I wanted was to go home and sleep, but I was affraid to do so. Lately my research on the great Scarlett Heart had led me nowhere. Granted that the cirty of Harland revolved around the Heart's, their library's contained little information on the family dynasty. It was all moved to the museum they had built in honor of their growing dynasty.

All I could dig up from searching the web was that she was wife to the first Dathan in the Heart family. The very man that had haunted my dreams. But how was I connected to all of this? I had to make a mental note to visit this museum. Maybe it could give me the answer to all of these dreams and confusing thoughts.

When the car door opened I realized we had parkd outside my apartment. I yawned and quickly reached for Jim's arms as he lifted me out of the car and took me up the stairs. Once comfortable and cozy in my own bed I snuggled under the covers and quickly fell asleep. My mother led Jim out the door and kept me company throughout the entire day.

By night fall I was wide awake. I sat up in bed looking at my laptop screen into the same old information I had found. Rubbing my eyes, I closed the silver lid and pushed the covers aside. I stared at my leg for a long moment. I was going to have major issues coming beach season, and it was all becasue of the obnoxious and irritating Dathan Heart.

Dathan Heart the Ninth, he who had been stealing every part of my thoughts lately. I hated how attracted I was to the arrogant man. I also hated how even the thought of him brought a chill over my skin. Come two weeks from now, would I be able to go back to work without feeling on edge? Did I really want to go back?

It seemed that even though Dathan was upset about Jim and I dating, he still went out of his way to have all my medical bills paid. But of course he would have, the man was still afraid of me. The thought sparked a sudden idea, sure it was evil but I needed to get my hands on something other than simply knowing Scarlett Heart by name.

Reaching for my phone I slipped out the business card he has given me with his personal number in the back. It was a long shot but here went nothing.

~Dathan~

The mingling guests all blended into one big blur. I was tired and bored here in Harland's Gallery of Fine Arts. We were supposed to be celebrating our 25th Anniversary of our partnership with Edmund Colton. A man who had made much of his wealth in the foreign counties selling obnoxious electronics and digital technology.

We ourselves had invested in technology. We made certain that our gadgets were top of the line quality for business workaholics down to the nerd spending most of his time playing Warcraft.

"Dathan, there is a Jim Ross here to see you. I don't know who the man is but he is insisting that you see him. He won't leave the entrance." Kyle hissed.

I felt my blood boil the instant I recognized the name. An evil smile slipped from my lips as I set aside my bubbly wine and walked through the crowded Galla to the entrance.

Reaching for the black bow tie on my suit I snapped it off and placed it in my pocket just as I approached Jim. His small brown eyes stared away when he caught sight of me.

Walking out the large glass doors I felt the fresh air of the night do some justice to my irritated nerves.

"Tell me, what is man covered in manure doing here?" I asked.

Jim looked down to his blue jump suit and quickly crossed his arms over his chest. He was angry, that much was clear.

"Listen...Mr. Heart, I'm only going to tell you this once. Stay away from Mr. Vindetti. I know what you're up to and trying to buy him out is not going to work." He said.

I arched a brow as I walked closer to him. He stood his ground as I kept walking. Once I was but an inch away from his sweaty face, only then did he took several steps back. His body collided with a parked car. I smiled as I reached for his collar and pulled him in

"Is that a threat?"

"What you want is to buy Mr. Vindetti out so that you can take ownership of the fertilizer company and enforce your little "no dating" policy on me!" He exclaimed.

"Or maybe it's time that Mack retires since he has no descendant to leave his company to." I replied.

"Your little scheming will get you nowhere. I'm not interested in men." Jim hissed.

I fell mute, my mouth slightly gaped in surprise at him as he adjusted his uniform and turned to walk away. Did he seriously imply I was in love with him! I felt my face grow red with embarrassment and anger. What on earth made him think it was he who I was after? Unless is meant that he was...

I shook my head and turned to walk back inside. The ringing in my pocket saved me once again before I could reach for the handle. I answered without looking at the screen.

"Hello?"

"It's Aria."

"Is something wrong? I'll be there in a moment." I said in hurry.

"Nothing is wrong, except...I-I'm thinking of putting a lawsuit."

I felt my guts knot to hear her voice. It had been so long since I had last heard from her much less seen her. I stammered to reply. It had been nearly a month since I had last seen Aria.

"Excuse me?" I managed to say.

"I'm disappointed and emotionally ruined. I'll never fully have the use of leg." She said.

"You're suing me?" I said a bit amused.

"Y-yes."She suffered as a response.

"This is no way to discuss matters, Aria. I will have my chauffeur pick you up immediately." I said. Hanging up the phone before she could say anything else I made it to my limo and gave the address to my driver. Things were beginning to boil over. However, I was confident she'd be dropping the charges.