Step Two

Chapter Fifteen

~Aria~

"Crap!"

The call ended and I hurried to get out of bed. The last thing I wanted was Dathan knocking on my door to find me in my bright pink pajama's and a tank top. I limped to the restroom as carefully as I could, using the cane I had been prescribed at the hospital. Reaching the restroom, I flickered on the lights and brushed my teeth and rinsed away the droopy oily look that was my face. I made certain to tame the wild waves of my hair. I slipped out of my clothes into a pair of leggings and some sandals, put on a sweater and made my way over to the living room. I took a seat and fiddled with my phone.

When it rang I thought my blood would freeze the instant I answered. I stammered a little and then felt relived when Jim's voice came through.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Fine, I was just watching a scary movie." I lied, as I tried to shake off the nervous tingles in my stomach.

"Listen Aria, I was wondering if we could talk, I know we agreed to say goodnight to one another once it was nine but there is something I really need to speak with you about." He said.

"I'm just really tried Jim, could we talk about this tomorrow over breakfast?" I pleaded.

He sighed and I waited, hoping he would agree and hang up before Dathan knocked on my door. There was a long silence on the phone that I was nearly convinced Jim had hung up.

"Are you sure you can't? He asked

"I'm sorry, I just don't think I have the strength to stay awake right now." I replied, faking a yawn.

"Alright, I guess I'll meet with you in the morning, goodnight." He said, and hung up.

I sighed in relief and nearly jumped out of my seat when I heard a loud knock on my door. I walked over and peeked through the peep hole only to confirm that it was in fact him. The instant I realized that he was actually standing outside my door I froze.

How far was I willing to take my fake threats?

Reaching for the door, I opened it and greeted him with a glare. Dathan stared at me and I had to look away. I hated how in control he was with those dashing colored eyes.

"Shall we?" He asked.

I lifted my chin up and refused his help when he tried placing a hand on my back. I limped all the way to the end of the long balcony where the stairs look up at me.

"I can help, if you let me." Dathan said. I felt his minty breath brush against my neck and I felt all the more paralyzed.

"Fine." I caved. Dathan reached out and wrapped one of my arms over his shoulders, I gulped as I felt the warmth of his body press against mine. Something about this felt so familiar as we descended the long stairs slowly. My vision blurred and a memory pushed itself to the full front of my mind. The roles were reversed however. It was I who aided him to descend. He looked so much paler, his hair grew past his ears.

I inhaled a sharp breath and realized then Dathan had a strong grip on me. His eyes were focused on our feet, his face seemed lost in a trance much like mine. Was he too lost in a memory, feeling that wave of deja vu hit him?

When we reached the bottom I slipped my arms away from his shoulders and tried to catch my breath.

"This way." He said, in a distant voice.

I tried to remain expressionless as I followed after him and into his limo.

"So, Aria. What made you change your mind?" He asked. He was composed now, he seemed calm and relaxed as he shifted his body so that it faced me. The limousine was extremely large. There was enough space here for nearly thirteen people. It was equipped with a small fridge, television, and there were even lights on the black interior ceiling of the car. I could smell the mix of cologne and real leather.