Step Three

Chapter Sixteen

~Aria~

Last night I had come home only to crumble into a million pieces. The events that had occurred, the arguing, the kiss. I still felt a strong chill course through my body as I sat starring at my television. It was six thirty in the morning. As I sat in my living room unable to fight with the hectic emotions spiraling in my gut, all I could think of was Jim.

I had lost control of my urges and allowed Dathan to kiss me and I in returned kissed him back. I knew what had to be done but it also made me feel like the worlds biggest tramp. Had I said yes to Jim last night, it would have been him who I'd kissed. Instead, I was eager to get answers to the many questions surrounding the bizarre dreams I had. I was so determined that my entire plan back fired.

Dathan was not gay, instead the delusional man declared his love for me and kissed me. Who was I kidding to deny the hunger I in return felt by the bold action. Jim was but a few minutes from my apartment and once he arrived I would force myself to tell him the truth and break it off.

I did not deserve such a sweet and kindhearted person like him. Clearly, I was confused in all of this and to prolong our relationship would only make it worse.

When he finally did knock on my door and entered I felt every fiber in my being still. I was afraid, embarrassed, and ashamed. I knew what was coming after I told him everything, but it was best to be honest with him than deny him the truth.

~Dathan~

My eyes shifted over to my watch. It was nearly eight in the morning. After the events of last night I had confided myself in my studies reading more from my grandfather's journal. Slowly as I read each entry I began to make sense of everything. His entire life was written in these pages although he did not write it all. It was odd yet somewhat calming to know that although I did not have bits and parts of his life written in his journal I had them by memory.

Their story was one of heart ache and triumph. After his tragic fall which paralyzed him to his bed for nearly a month, he had managed to rise back on his feet all because of her. It was there that he found and realized that with her things fell into place. His love for Scarlet grew as the days progressed.

"She is a woman who challenges me yet is my rock at the same time. She was so easy to love without a doubt in my heart. Her inner beauty radiated past her shy brown eyes. It gave them light and strength. Enough to make me realize that although she was being so tough and stubborn I could see that way her eyes raked me from head to toe." I gulped as I read the last word. Aria never looked at me like that.

Closing the journal I rubbed my eyes and stood from behind my desk. My eyes were dead tired  of searching these pages night after night. Maybe Aria was right, I needed to give her some time. As for me, it was impossible to sit still and simply let things stay as they were. If she refused to try and search for answers, then I'd leave her to her space. I was determined to get to the bottom of everything.

Just then a thought entered my head. My grandfather mentioned a mansion he had formerly lived in. There a garden, her garden, had laud hidden for years now, a garden that I was more than positive was the missing puzzle to my many questions. I walked out of my study and closed the door. Reaching for my cell phone in my pocket, I dialed my mother's number determined to find the place.

My only hope was that I wasn't too late. I knew the house had to be old, tremendously old, but most mansions had been built with solid stone. I was rooting for it to be still intact.

"Dathan?" My mother answered on the fourth ring.

"There was an old mansion my grandfather Dathan Baltazar the First lived in before he build this one. Any chance of dad or you knowing where it is?" I asked.

I walked down the large stairway and reached the bottom just as Gregory entered through the front door. He held a large box in his arms as he stood in front of me. I signaled for him to wait while I listened to my mother mutter on the other line. I stood impatiently waiting for her to finish bickering with my father.

"Honey, your father says it was located near the country side of the City. It's still there, but it's been abandoned for a long time." She said.

"Give me the address." I eagerly asked.

A smile crossed my lips as I quickly memorized the address and put it into my GPS. I stopped short of walking out the door finally acknowledging Gregory.

"I'm in a bit of a hurry Gregory. What is it?" I asked, trying not to be too rude.

"The party is a week away sir, I was wondering if you have taken the time to plan your vacation yet. I figured by now you'd book your stay at a hotel and book your flight as well." He said.

"Hold everything, Gregory, the feast the planning, I'm moving this party to a different location." I said with a bright grin on my face.

He looked at me puzzled as I walked out of the house with a skip to my footsteps. A plan was slowly unraveling in my head as I slipped into my car and drove away in hopes of setting my eyes on the home where it all began.