Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Chapter Ten

~Dathan~

I hesitated to slip off my new Mercedes. My heart was pounding and although the car was freezing because of the luxurious air conditioner, I felt I was melting.

I had spent last night reading through my grandfathers journal only to discover the heart ache he had endured. After realizing his mistakes and the wrong he had committed he had fallen in love with Scarlett for her inner beauty and stubbornness.

She was without a doubt a wonderful woman. But now I had things to handle on my own with Aria. I didn't know what she and I were. I could barely wrap my mind around the fact that I was having memories of the past as if I had lived them.

All I knew is that an opportunity like this, was once in a life time. I would be stupid if I let it slip through my fingers. I felt my throat knot when I finally took the small red box in my hands and pulled out of the car. I looked to the three story brick apartment. She was located at the very top, in room 208.

"Here goes nothing." I said.

I reached the white stairs and slowly ascended. Each step I took made me feel like I would never reach the top. I walked towards the very end and finally came face to face with the shiny bronze numbers on her white door.

I knocked, and waited.

Footsteps shuffled inside and then the door opened. A tall man greeted me at the door, his hair was trimmed and cropped to point in all directions. His greeting smile faded when he realized who stood at the other side of the door. His grey eyes stared down to the floor.

"You are?" I asked. His face turned bright pink.

"Mr. Heart, I...um, I was just leaving." He said shyly. He quickly dismissed himself as Aria came towards the door in her wheelchair.

"Jim, you just got here?" She said, when she heard he was leaving. Upon seeing me at the door her face paled.

"Dathan, w-what are you doing here?" She asked.

"I'll give you a call later to see how you are doing." Jim muttered before scurrying to walk out.

Disappointment was written all over her face as she stared after him. The action brought a frenzy of jealousy so strong I was overwhelmed to slam the door behind me. Instead, I gently shut the door and handed the box to Aria.

"I brought these for you, thought it could help you feel better." I said, my throat was still feeling tight that I was amazed I had even managed to say anything at all.

Her brows raised as she took the box from my hands. It suddenly occurred to me that I had said it in a tight tone.

"Is everything...okay?" She asked as she settled the box in her lap.

"I was wondering how you were feeling." I managed to say.

"I'm doing better. I'm actually scheduled to go into surgery a month from now. They need to repair ligament damage." She explained.

"Jesus, Aria. I can't say I didn't mean for all this to happen because technically I was risking a lot by running a red light." I said.

"Speaking of risking a lot, you shouldn't have come here. It's going to seem a bit odd when people see a shiny expensive car outside the apartment parking lot belonging to a Heart." Aria warned.

"I'm alright, I could care less for it." I shrugged determined to keep it friendly.

Aria invited me in, as we passed the small white hall I noticed the many pictures adorning her home. She had a vast family from the looks of it. A large mirror reflected my face. As she turned the corner I took a moment to glance over my appearance in hopes that I looked proper.