Sweet Surrender

Chapter Twenty-Four

~Aria~

I felt the tension inside the foyer hit me like a terrible perfume roaming the atmosphere. I held my breath as my eyes landed on every aspect of the large room. My heart sped up and sweat quickly formed at my brow as I took hold of Jim's arm.

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

"It...hard to breathe." I managed to say.

"Would you like to go outside?" He asked. There was concern written all over his face as he took me by the hand and straight for the front door. I stopped him and shook my head. It was time to stop running and time to start facing these haunting visions once and for all.

For some reason this place seemed to be giving me the vibe that I had been here before.

"Aria, talk to me. Do you need to sit?" He asked.

I was grateful that although he had not really believed my story he was willing to stand by my side. I hadn't expected him to fully believe me. After all, it was extremely rare to hear a story such as mine. For all I knew Jim was probably thinking I was going crazy. "Take a seat here, I'll go get you something to drink." He said.

He scurried away and I watched as he disappeared into the crowd of people. My eyes refused to look anywhere else. I was afraid of looking at something else and recall a memory from the past. It always brought a wave of nausea over me.

My eyes looked to the floor and a vague memory came to me as I looked to my reflection. Before the full memory could surface Jim returned to place a glass of water in my hand.

"The kitchen was rather packed, I managed to plead one of the caterers for a glass of water." He said, as he took a seat next to me.

"Why is a handsome man like you not dressed for the occasion? Here accompanying your sister?" They asked.

Both Jim and I looked up to find an elderly woman staring down at us. I clutched the glass of water in my hands as she grinned down to us both.

"Y-you think she's my sister?" Jim asked.

"Is she not?"

"Your name?" I asked before Jim could reply.

"I am Mrs. Kimberly Heart, I'm here with my granddaughter, Linda. Please, come say Hi. She's in need of a husband." She said with toothy grin at Jim.

A smile broke through my frown as she pointed to a blonde standing near the door with a glass of wine in her hand. The woman looked uncomfortable as she stared in every direction. She dressed in a blue gown, her hair styled into a exquisite bun. Her eyes looked saddened as she slid closer to the tall plant near the door.

Jim looked over to the woman, no doubt he was feeling suddenly bashful as he turned to look at me.

"Go." I encouraged, nudging him to stand.

"I couldn't. What on earth would I say to such a beautiful woman, plus she's a Heart." He said.

"Come, come say hello." The old woman pressed.

"Jim, none of it matters in the end. Give it a try, you might realize that you have so much in common." I encouraged.

He let out a sigh and looked down to his casual wear. "Now I am beginning to regret not dressing for the occasion." He muttered, as he stood.