Wrong Impression

Chapter Twelve

~Aria~

The boredom was slowly cutting a knife through my brain. I slouched further into the sofa and felt my frown deepened. I watched as my mother walked about the apartment fluffing pillows and vacuuming the carpet. I was grateful for all the support and help she had shown me for the past week. In fact, I was grateful for all the love and affection she had given me throughout the years. Being twenty eight and working for a company that pretty much presented a dead end for me, I was glad that I had her to look forward to.

Since her divorce, she had dedicated herself to helping me achieve all the things in life she never had the opportunity of having. Although she had given the dating world a try, my mother simply came to realize that she had given all she had in her marriage. It wasn't that she was hung over my father, she felt she didn't have the energy to begin another.

Life with my father had been quite lonely. The man was hardly home, missed every clarinet recital and band performance. It had been his job that had come between their marriage. Since his dispute with a Heart he had tried giving his all to build his own company. But the entire dream had crumpled and a bankruptcy was quickly claimed.

After a few years they called it quits and both moved on with their lives. After his death she decided it was best to stay closer to me, according to her, I was all she had left, although we had a vast family. It was funny how after having so many siblings one could feel alone. Most of my family members had moved away to find better means of having a life without the label of the Heart's to grace their cabinets, insurance, clothing, etc.

"I have a doctor's appointment at three, are you sure you are going to be okay all by yourself. I could call Jim and tell him to stop by?" My mother called from the kitchen. My fingers pressed down on the Mute button. I pondered her words for a moment, I'd like Jim's company but then again I was reminded of Dathan's words. I couldn't keep giving him hope.

"Aria? Did you hear me?" Mom asked.

"I'll do just fine on my own mom." I said.

"Are you sure? Jim called last night, he was worried for you, he also happen to mention that the Heart boy was here. Are you two in some sort of relationship?" Mom asked. She walked into the living room and leaned against the open archway. There was a dish rag in her hands, and her bright red apron held a few stains.

I shook my head and turned off the TV. "He's just here to make sure I don't change my mind and sue him for all he's got. I know he says he genuinely wants to be here because he feels bad but men like Dathan Heart will do anything to make sure that their privacy is kept...well private." I replied.

"Just be safe, with eyes like his, no woman is safe." She chuckled.

I bit my lip and looked down to my hands. My mother was spot on with those words. Dathan made me feel things that were unfair. I had no control over my heart or my emotions when he was around. It was spooky yet intriguing to know that a man straight out of my dreams actually existed. I was unsure how it all came to be. One moment I was dreaming a lifetime of heartache and triumph and so suddenly I was living it.

Not entirely, Dathan and I were not madly in love like the Dathan in my dreams. Was I slowly going insane, were my ancestor's gypsy's that could see into the past, present, and future? There was so many things I wanted to know and understand. I was confused yet so lost in the reality that there really did exists a man with such bewitching eyes. So why wasn't he married? Why didn't he have a girlfriend?

I pondered that maybe he had terrible trust issues or he liked men. My heart stopped at the thought. Maybe he did, maybe Dathan wasn't married or committed because he liked men.