A Tale of a Lifetime

Chapter Twenty-Five

When we finally managed to pry ourselves apart I gladly led Aria out the door and down the stairs. My heart jumped in anticipation as we both descended and greeted the many ladies waiting for me to lead them into the labyrinth. I could feel her fingers grip my hand in a firm hold. She was nervous and anxious all together.

"The men will have a great time in the west room. There you will gather for some brandy and cigars. Ladies, are we ready?" I asked.

So many faces and smiles stared back at me as I scanned the large foyer. A smile escaped my lips as I looked to Jim sticking out like a sore thumb from the crowd. He hid behind a large plant near the door, his eyes glued to my cousin Linda.

She in return smiled at him, her face lighting up in a way that I could understand. It seemed Jim had found another distraction. I felt content as I realized I would no longer have to worry about him.

"Before we head to the east side of the manor. I would like to explain why the festivity was moved to this end of the countryside. Long ago, as we all know, Dathan Baltazar Heart Sir, established a plantation that would later grow to be the most successful one in this entire city. Actually, the only reason why this city is still considered one of the richest is because of him. Our family dynasty has grown wealthy and vast. Love, devotion, and respect has been the drive that has united this family. With each passing year children are born to us and the bloodline continues. It is in this very manor that love, devotion, and respect was born. Once upon a time he was not the charming and devoted man he always was. It took a brave, beautiful, and wonderful woman to fill the void he carried." I said.

"Wait, this is the manor? The manor?" Someone asked.

"How do you know that it is? Did you research it?"

"Trust me ladies, this is the manor. I've done my research well and here is where it all happened. I stand on the very stairs that caused the chain of events between Lady Scarlett Worthington and Sir Dathan Heart. To your left is the dining area where they shared the most awkward and uncomfortable meals together. The living room where he stood awaiting her return all those years ago and last but not least...the labyrinth, where she...Scarlet Heart spent nearly three years waiting for those lonely nights to come to an end. Follow me to the east side of the manor where we will gather to hear the tale of romance, heartache, and second chances."

A few cheers and loud claps filled the large foyer as I took Aria's hand and led her through the hall and past the large replicated glass doors. I smiled as I looked to Aria. There was a smile on her face and her eyes glisten as she looked to the door.

"I can remember." She whispered over to me.

I squeezed her hand and felt my heart at ease as we stepped outside to where the decorator had illuminated the large backyard in beautiful flowers and lights. Gasps and giggles echoed behind me as I allowed them to soak in the beauty of the large yard. When they were done exploring I led them to the large tall green hedges that were the maze.

"I thought the garden was this back yard?" My mother asked. I shook my head and asked for all the ladies to calm down as I proceeded to explain. Anticipation filled their eyes as I turned to lead them into the large labyrinth.

"Dear me, I can even remember the way." She muttered as I took the lead.

"You better not get us lost in here, Dathan!" Someone shouted out. The rest of the ladies laughed as I walked in with confidence. It wasn't long before we stood at the large opening. The gardeners had done a wonderful job at reviving what had once been her place of solitude. Thanks to modern technology I was able to take a picture of my painting. It hadn't been so difficult for them to take it and replicate every detail. Even the fountain flowed beautifully, the watered sparkled and glistened with the new lighting they had placed inside it.

A sob escaped Aria brining be back to reality as she stared at it. She left my side, and walked forward, her eyes taking in every detail. I turned and faced the large crowd of women. Signaling my mother out I asked the she take the lead and begin the tale. With such eagerness she walked over to the fountain and they women followed. They took their seats, each one holding a blood red rose in their hands as my mother opened a large book.

I walked over to Aria as she caressed the roses, her fingers delicately hovering over each one. Resting a hand over her shoulder she turned to look at me and smiled weakly.

"You brought it back...I can't believe you even had them restore the fountain." She whispered. Taking her hand I led her away from the large crowd for a moment. We hid under the weeping willow tree inside and I held her close.

"I want to ask you something...and I hope you consider it before you give an answer right away." I said.

Aria looked at me with a smile and wrapped her arms around me, holding me close. "What else could you offer me that would make this happy? I haven't felt this overwhelmed with love since my mother made me a sweet sixteen." She said with a sigh.

Gently lifting her chin into my hand I stared into her eyes as a single tear slipped from them. "I don't know how we came to be Reborn...all I know is that it doesn't matter what life time I'm in, I will always love you and only you Scarlett Heart. I know and understand that this is a new life and I will embrace it as one. I love you, in this life and the next. My heart will forever be devoted to yours." I whispered.

"And I...Scarlett Heart will forever love you and remain devoted to only you." She whispered as she leaned in to place a soft kiss on my lips.

"Marry me." I said.

Her fingers digged into my arms as she held me close. A soft chuckle escaped her as I waited her reply. Looking down to her I could see as endless tears spilled from her beautiful chocolate brown eyes.

"Yes...I will marry you." She said with a smile.

Pulling her close I pressed an eager kiss unto her lips and then squeezed her to me. My heart skipped a beat as I lifted her into my arms and headed out the labyrinth.

"Wait! We still have to stay and listen to the story." She laughed as I rushed out.

I stopped and looked down at her as she clung to me. "Do you really want to listen to something we have already lived through? Or would you rather write a knew story?" I asked.

She bit her red coated lips and grasped at my blazer pushing up to kiss me again. "Let's continue to write history together." She said.