Preparations

Chapter Nineteen

~Dathan~

Time seemed to want to torture me as I stared at the clock. I dreaded looking at the time, I was well aware that it was only nearing eleven thirty in the morning. My leg began to bounce impatiently as I scanned through some of the words on the contract in front of me. For the life of me I could not get past the first sentence without having to re-read it.

"This is useless, I'm not going to get my head together until I go see it." I muttered, to myself.

Gathering all of the paperwork I quickly stuffed it into my briefcase and reached for my blazer and keys. I hurried out the door and simply nodded to my secretary without a word. The middle aged woman offered a thin lip smile as I went.

Reaching the elevators I settled in and waited for the gold doors to slide shut. I'd have to make a mental note to call my secretary and tell her I wouldn't be in all afternoon. I had far greater things to handle. Reaching for my phone I send a quick email to her and then sent Kyle a text message.

"Did you get ahold of a building instructor?" I asked.

"Yes, the man will meet you there at one thirty, it was the earliest he could do it." Kyle replied.

Clicking my cell phone off, I finally walked out the elevator as soon as the doors opened. Heading straight for my car, I tossed aside my brief case and my blazer. My heart was beating erratically as I pulled out of the building towards the long lonely roads of the country side of the city.

My cell phone buzzed and I answered when the red light stopped me in my pursuit to flee. A quick glance showed a message from my cousin.

"I wanted to speak to you about some building permits, remember that we have a deadline for that Children's Hospital." Kyle texted.

"Later, I am on my way out for the day. Call me after five, I will be available then. Please handle business wisely." I replied.

"She really has you in a bind, doesn't she cousin?" He asked.

"I'll speak to you later, I am on my way to the manor." I texted, ignoring his last message.

Nothing further was sent and I was finally released from the red light. On my way there I contemplated that maybe hosting the party there wouldn't be a good idea after all. The place had been abandoned for nearly twenty years. Only heaven knew in what kind of condition it was in. I would leave it to the building inspector to give the final verdict.

Everything passed by in a blurr and I came to realize I was speeding. I slowed the velocity and convinced myself that I'd eventually get there. I needed to stop feeling so giddy about the whole thing. However, I couldn't deny that just the mere thought that I'd soon be opening those doors for the first time brought a thrill over me.

When the large black gates came into view I cursed under my breath. I had entirely forgotten that vines covered every inch of them. Slipping out of the car, I rolled up my sleeves and walked over to the trunk. Taking the tire iron from it I walked over to the gates. I began to yank and pull them away, enough to allow me to uncover the entire chain. Placing the tire iron back inside the trunk I shut it and reached for the keys.

I stared down to them, noticing that some were modern and other's held a more vintage shape. Choosing the shiniest of the bunch, I put it into the lock and smiled when the large heavy object opened. Taking the chain off, I tossed it to a side and pushed to open the gates. They simply groaned in protest as I tried giving it a few more pushes.