Heart Manor

Chapter Twenty-Three

~Aria~

I walked quietly out of my room. My heart was racing a million miles per hour. I was still feeling edgy about tonight. Granted that Jim would be accompanying me I still felt awkward. I couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible was going to happen. I knew I had to take the idea out of my head but something kept nagging at me to stay home. Maybe it was the fact that I'd be seeing him again or maybe it was instinct pricking at me to avoid this celebration. Whatever the case it was making me feel queasy.

"Oh honey, you look absolutely breathtaking. That woman did have the perfect dress after all. Still, I insist you wear my black fur coat. It's not real fur of course but I still think it will complete the elegant look on that dress." She said.

"Thanks mom, but I'm kind of having second thoughts about tonight." I honestly replied.

She chuckled as she went about boxing the rest of my things. I had found a nice home near the suburbs, something cozy enough for me and my mother to live the remainder of our lives. After our one week vacation was over, I'd return to work, determined not to let the amount of money I made keep me from living a normal life. My mother often insisted that I invest my money on something big, but what could I invest in that the Heart's hadn't already?

"Then why get ready? If you really didn't want to go you'd have simply taken the dress back." She explained. I felt myself blush, she was being spot on with her words. Although part of me did not want to go to this celebration, the other longed to see those bewitching eyes. Frustrated, I let out a sigh and walked over to sit on our small little couch.

"Let us be honest, I'll admit part of me wants to go, but the other sees it unnecessary." I said.

"What part of you sees it unnecessary? The part that is fighting against this attraction?" She questioned.

Lifting my gaze I looked at my mother a bit alarmed. Would she be angry with me for feeling drawn to a Heart? After all, my family looked to them as sworn enemies. If they found out I had fallen for one would they consider me a traitor?

"Aria, it's obvious you too feel something for one another. Now, whether you want to do something about it, it's up to you." She replied.

"Are you not upset?" I asked, taking a stand I walked over to her. Setting the many sheets in her arms into a box she took my hands in her and smiled kindly to me.

"Not in the least, my daughter has found love and who am I to take it from her?" She said.

"I don't know about love, I am attracted to the man, but to fall in love one must share a lifetime of memories." I replied.

"Then do something about that, do not let a good man slip from your fingers." She insisted.

I felt relief fill me as I embraced my mother. She took me into her arms tenderly and placed a kiss upon my forehead.

"I have done all that I can to raise you right, you know right from wrong and you've learned to take a stand. I know that you will be able to handle yourself when it comes to forming a family of your own. I only ask of you to make one single promise to me." She asked.

"Anything, I will do anything for you." I promised.

"That you love that man with all of your might. Hold on to him, Aria. I know this one is special. The look in his eyes is one your father often carried. Do not let him forget why he fell in love with you. Don't overwhelm the man but always strive to show him love and affection. I let myself withdraw from your father. Before I knew it the love he had often carried in his eyes had vanished and we fell apart. There isn't a day where I do not regret fighting for my marriage." She honestly confessed.