A Stroll Through History

Chapter Twenty-Two

~Dathan~

After personally supervising every worker I had hired to fix up the Manor, I vaguely became aware of cousin Kyle telling me about a museum they had made in my family's honor. I was still getting use to accepting who I was and the life I had once lived. I was glad I hadn't forgotten this life, or else I'd look the fool trying to handle a cell phone or a car.

As I drove away from the old manor I took route in search of my history. I was curious to know what they had gotten down as fact and what things they had exaggerated in. Had my family done justice for my former life or had they overdone it and exploited my name?

The shrilling sound of my cell phone pulled me from my thought's. I answered on the second ring, glad that I could speak to whomever called using my vehicle.

"Dathan, honey. It's your mother." She said.

My fingers gripped the steering wheel. Granted that this woman had given birth to me and had raised me, I still missed my old mother. Rita Heart. After the disaster she had created out of my marriage to Scarlett she had put an effort to change. She was determined to win my late wife's affection and trust. It hadn't taken her long to realize the beautiful person that Scarlett was. She too fell in love with her daughter in law quickly.

My mother often spend time Scarlett's presence, aiding her in anything she needed. When our twin daughters were born to us, the smile on my mother's face would be forever etched in my memory.

"If I hadn't intervene in this marriage, maybe I would have seen these beautiful girls a lot sooner." She wept.

However, no matter how disappointed my mother was in herself and the actions she had done, my wife had always been there to reassure her that the past was the past.

"Hello mother, how was your day?" I asked.

She paused for a moment and then she replied, "Are you on some kind of pill? I've never heard you talk so gentlemanly to me." She chuckled.

"Don't mind me, I'm alright." I replied. I had to remember that times had changed and with it the manner in which one spoke. Now that I was in touch with my old self it was a bit difficult to stop my old grammar from escaping my mouth.

"I wanted to talk to you about this weekends event. I've heard you've taken it upon yourself to personally handle the preparations. Why?" She asked.

It was my turn to pause and really consider what I was about to respond.

"I'm trying to impress a lady." I honestly replied.

"A lady? You mean a young girl?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Dathan, if this young lady can't see you for who you really are, then why go through all the trouble to charm her with material things?"

"I will honestly say that she is still having a bit of trouble understanding who I really am and who she really is. Nevertheless, I am determined to win her over." I responded.

"You are not making any sense, dear. But alright, if you know what you are doing I'll leave you be. Just make sure that the catering arrives on time. I don't know were we are going to tell the story if there is no fountain." She lastly muttered.

"Don't worry, I have prepared a very special place for said story." I said with a confident smile.

"I guess that's a good thing, when can I stop by to see this manor? I am curious to know what you've done with the place." She said.