Memory Lane

Chapter Twenty

~Dathan~

The door easily opened and with it the gush of air to invade the miraculous foyer before me. It was dark of course, and it was difficult to see inside as I took one step in. I felt my throat shut when I looked to the wide stair way before me. My eyes watered as I walked in further acknowledging just how exquisite this place was. The furniture inside the foyer was covered by white sheets that had gray dust settling over it. Reaching for my phone I clicked on the flash light and with it I began to look about.

The foyer was immensely large and spherical. Before me the large wide and wooden stairs still looked sturdy as a red carpet descended all the way down to the last step. I wasn't certain if the walls were white or cream. It was a bit difficult to make out with just a small cell phone light.

"Beautiful." I muttered. Walking towards a large white sheet, I removed it to reveal and long blue settee designed only to have one arm rest. Using the sheet I made my way over to the windows and began to wipe away the dust settled there. The dirt began to come off and rays of sunlight spilled in. I reached for the small knobs and realized they were utilized as small locks. Turning them in the opposite direction of one another allowed me to unlock them.

Gently and carefully I opened the first window and then the rest. Soon sun light was spilling in from every window. I was partly grateful that there wasn't a single tree to block the rays of light from spilling in. It gave the manor so much more beauty and radiance.

I turned to look at how much more alive the manor looked with the light coming in. Then a terrible sadness over came as I stood in the center. Before I could stop myself I felt a tear slip from my eye. I hadn't the least of clues as to why I was feeling so emotional. My heart thundered against my chest. I reached to touch it and slowly reached for the railing of the stairs.

I painful groan escaped me as I felt my knees grow weak. Unable to stand I fell into a sitting position on the stairs. Holding my head I felt a wave of nausea hit me. Something was pushing itself to the front of my mind. My stomach turned and I was suddenly vomiting, the sensation spiraled a terrible burning in my throat. I fought to gather myself, refusing to let it hit me so abruptly. I wanted to discover and uncover every inch of this Mansion, but I'd be unable to do that if I allowed every little glance or movement get the best of me.

I fought to hold the bile down and took deep breaths, smelling the dust in the air. I concentrated on the hot sun against my skin. I couldn't be found this way when the inspector came by. I needed to calm myself.

~Aria~

Nerves were rattling every inch of me as I looked to Jim walking in my direction. Every part of this facility smelled terrible but I knew I had to hold it together for his sake. There was a smile on his face as he removed his gloves and goggles.

Taking a deep breath I regretted it the instant I did. The smell was strong, so strong that it was beginning to burn my nose a bit. Nevertheless, I was determined to talk to Jim and finally put to rest the tension between he and I.

"Could we talk?" I found myself asking him.

Jim looked behind him and then held up his pointer finger for me to hold on. Running back I could see him talking to his boss and then patting him on the shoulder. Once he returned I encouraged him to follow me to my car, were the smell wasn't so bad.

When we reached the parking lot Jim took a seat on the hood of my car and patted the spot next to him. I simply smiled and reached into my purse. With a strong sigh I handed Jim the paper in my hands. Without a word he reached for it, his brows scrunching together in curiosity.