Chapter 7

“W-What? No, I’m fine, really! You don’t need to do that. It comes with the job.” I flailed my arms around and created a small scene at the table. “Really, Mr. Malik. I’m completely okay. Please don’t worry about me.” When I flailed my arms around I accidentally hit my wrist on the side of the table. I felt the blood drain from my face and I groaned, clutching my wrist close to my chest. “Ow….”

I heard Zayn shuffle across the table from me and come to my side. He took my hand gently and inspected the wrapping around my wrist. “This needs to be tighter.” He slowly unwrapped my wrist while kneeling next to me. He was so concerned with my wrist and the look on his chiseled face was concentrated. He rewrapped my wrist and it was definitely tighter this time. When my wrist was secure, Zayn got up from his kneeling position, fixed his blazer and sat back down in his own seat. 

I remained quiet and didn’t touch my win glass in front of me. Zayn was carefully sipping his and watching me closely. He took another sip of his wine and then finally put the glass down on the table. “You don’t like wine?” He asked, pointing at my full glass. 

I shook my head. “Not really. I don’t drink.” I shrugged and played with the folded napkin in front of me. Out waitress came by again and I didn’t know what I wanted to eat. I honestly couldn’t read half of the dishes on the menu. I think Zayn caught on to my confusion and set his menu down. “We’ll have the soup de jour to start and the stuffed mushrooms as well.” The waitress nodded and was about to walk away before Zayn caught her arm. “Darling, can my date have something other than wine to drink as well.”

“Yes, sir.” She nodded and walked away.

 I half expected Zayn to watch her walk away, since she had a nice butt, but he kept his eyes on me. It felt like he was analyzing me. We stayed silent until our food came and it was then I realizes how hungry I was. I had bought all those groceries, but with my busy schedule and then feeling overall down, I guess I forgot to eat. I dug my spoon into the soup that looked like it was french onion. It was so delicious that I actually moaned. 

“I take it you have never been to a place like this?” Zayn finally spoke and dunked his spoon into his own bowl of soup. The stuffed mushrooms sat between us and smelled amazing. I sighed and nodded my head slowly. “I see. I didn’t expect you have before. I thought this would be special for you.” He began eating his soup. 

I was so confused by Zayn. I don’t know why he was going out of his way to treat me nicely. I wasn’t expecting it, but Zayn was giving it to me anyways. I would definitely have to work for this later. Maybe we would get to the actually sex part this time. 

I think Zayn enjoyed the silence while we ate slowly. The rest of my soup and those stuffed mushrooms were amazing. I had never tasted something so good before. After Zayn ordered our main meals he rested his elbows on the table top and locked his fingers together under his chin. 

“So Niall, tell me about yourself. Your history. I’m intrigued.” He leaned forward and my voice got caught into my throat. “I’m assuming you lead an interesting life.” He dropped one of his hands and caught mine. He held my hand and ran his thumb over my skin. “Hmm?”

“I don’t want to ruin our dinner.” I sighed. I had a rough life and I didn’t think it was the best topic for a dinner like this. Zayn’s squeezed my hand and gave me this brilliant smile. “Honestly, I don’t think you want to hear it.” He still insisted and that made me smile.