Chapter 37

We spent days in the hospital and I refused to eat what thy gave me until they forced it down my throat. I was weak and uninterested. As was Ashton, but he ate what I wouldn't. He didn't think starving was the best way to go, he was more of a "going out with a bang" kind of guy.

No one familiar came into the room to talk to us. Only the nurses came in and took care of us. I don't even think that the doctor came in to see us. I was so drugged up that I didn't need to move and I slowly felt my muscles become mush as I remained in bed for days.

A week passed by and we weren't told anything about what was going on. My leg was doing better, but I still couldn't walk on it. They almost forced a catheter on me, but that was the last thing I wanted.

"Things will go smoothly if you just cooperate." One nurse told me. Ashton was passed out on the other bad. He was given something to keep him numb and unresponsive to the world.

"I-I refuse." I argued with the nurse. I tried to move out of her way, but it didn't work so well. Not like I was going anywhere. I had a shot up leg that was so fragile that even a step would shatter my bones. "You're better off killing me right here than getting me to cooperate with whatever Liam is planning."

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me Mr. Payne?" The nurse and I both looked up to see Liam standing in the doorway. He was sporting a pretty heavy black eye and has a cane at his side, telling me that his leg was hurt. "Leave the room." He nodded at the nurse. She left quickly, leaving just the three of us, Ashton of course was the third, in the room together. "You've caused me a lot of trouble, Niall." Liam slowly made his way over to my bed. Once he was there, he slid his hand over the skin of my arm. Too close for comfort, I would say.

I kept my mouth shut, not wanting to egg him on.

"Nothing to say back? Have you lost your fighting spirit?" He squeezed my arm and then stood back. "Such a shame really. Zayn, you know."

I couldn't keep quiet any longer. "What did you do to him!?" I yelled, biting back tears. "I swear if anything happened to him I'll-" Would I kill him?

"That's what I was looking for!" Liam grinned. "That fire in your eyes. That passion. I used to see it when you rode me all night long. It's been far too long, Niall." Liam chuckled. "But don't worry about your precious Zayn. He's long gone by now, running off with his tail between his legs."

"He's not-" Liam said nothing about killing him. And I knew Zayn wouldn't just run off and never come back. He had sacrificed so much to keep me at his side, there was no way he was giving up now.

"No, I didn't kill him." Liam rolled his eyes. "Why kill the guy? When I can take everything from him and then kill him. It's much more fun that way." Liam let out this dark chuckle that chilled me to the bone. "I'm not here to talk about him, though. I'm here for you."

"Bite me." I ground my teeth together. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Ashton stir in bed. His medication must have been wearing off.

"Oh, I wish I could right now." Liam leaned down to me and grabbed my neck in a chokehold. I panicked, eyes wide and waiting for what was next. "But unfortunately, you need your rest because tomorrow we're going somewhere."

He never told me where and I bet that I wouldn't even know until I got there. I was worried that he was just taking me and not Ashton. But then again, he did keep Ashton alive, so there was some use for him yet.

When Liam left the room it was silent for a while. Ashton was still in a haze of pain medication. If we were separated I knew it would be the end of him. Hell, it would be the end of me, because right now Ashton was my only protection, even if he was still bedridden from being stabbed in the back. At least he had my back.