Chapter 35

I couldn't stay away from him for long. The house was only so big. "Zayn?" I called out to him. He wasn't anywhere on the main floor, so I made my way back upstairs to our bedroom that we shared. I absentmindedly knocked on the door before entering. Zayn was sitting at the edge of the bed, his arm out and stretched before him. His face was contorted in pain. "What are you doing?"

"I'm stretching." He told me shortly.

"That's your bad shoulder. You might rip your stitches." I rushed over to him and helped him lower his arm back to his side. I checked his wound and sighed. "You're lucky." I told him.

"I thought you weren't talking to me." Zayn spoke softly.

"I could never stop talking to you." That was the truth. "I just want you to talk to me. Tell me things."

"I can't do that, Niall."

He faced away from me, but I grabbed his chin gently and pulled him towards me. Our lips were almost touching as I spoke. "I know, but maybe one day you can." I placed a kiss to his lips and we melted into each other. "And then one day I might figure out how to be loved." I knew how to love and I loved him more than anything, but it was hard for me to accept it the other way around. Maybe it was because I didn't love myself enough to let someone choose that ill fate. I would only have to figure that out on my own.

I then pulled away from Zayn and stood back. He was staring up at me in a way that I would never forget. "It will only be a matter of time." His velvet voice soothed my ears. "And I will wait for you like you will for me." He nodded. "In the mean time... I have a question for you." Zayn reached out with his good hand and caught mine in his own.

"Yes?"

"Kiss me?"

And I did.

Even though I hated the ups and downs of this relationship. How I hated myself for reacting to everything so severely. How I hated the lies that were being kept from me. How I hated being only sixteen in a world of adults. I hated a lot about my life, but there was always one thing I was pretty sure of and that was Zayn. From the day I met him to the awkward pauses in our sex life, to him sitting there before me offering me his heart, he was my rock. He was my stability without being stable himself.

Sure, we were toxic together. Sure, I was nearly ten years younger than him. But I would never take back the moment that he stepped into that hotel room and changed my life for the better. So, even with the ups and downs, Zayn was trying his best and I could only try my best in the worst of times with him.

We lied in bed and forgot about dinner. Our foreheads were pressed to each others as we clung together. Neither of us said a word to each other because we hand't quite thought out the rest. So we lied in silence until a knock came to the door of our bedroom and we sat up to see who was standing there. It was Harry.

"Uh, not to burst your guys' bubble. But Ruth's water just broke and I- Uh- I don't know what to do next." Harry was standing there with his hair tossed about his shoulders. He looked pale and it took me a second to process his words, but I was out of bed in no time.

"Okay, deep breaths." I grabbed Harry's shoulders and shook him slightly. "How long ago did it break?" I asked, looking past Harry and seeing Ruth standing in the hallway with a slightly panicked look on her face.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Her water, Harry. When did her water break exactly?" I asked him again.

"Oh, uh, honey?" Harry faced his wife and she rolled her eyes.

"A few minutes ago." She told me calmly. "Oh boy...." She clutched her protruding belly and squeezed her eyes shut. She groaned out and then it passed. "They're getting quicker. Can we get to the hospital now?!" Ruth was definitely in labor and they needed to go quickly. I shoved Harry out of the door way and he rushed over to his wife.

"Uh, I can go grab your overnight bags." I told them. Zayn was up and by my side, holding onto me for support. I gave him a smile and ran for Harry and Ruth's room, grabbing their already packed and ready bags. I stopped when I went to pick them up. Realization hit me.

I couldn't leave the house. It wasn't safe. But it wasn't safe for Harry and Ruth to leave by themselves. John had to leave with them. Which meant that Zayn and I would be left alone. Only for a few hours though. At least I hoped so. "John!" I called out to him and he was up the stairs in no time. He already knew what was going on and grabbed the bags.

"Ashton said he was staying nearby." I told him.

John nodded. "I tried calling him, but he didn't answer his phone." He handed the bags over to Harry who was then helping his wife down the stairs. "Boss?" John looked passed me to Zayn.

"Leave me your gun." Zayn reached out and John didn't hesitate to hand over his gun to Zayn. "I think I can hold down the fort at least until I get Ashton back here." Zayn hid the gun in the back of his sleep shorts and then wandered back into the bedroom slowly. He came back with his phone pressed to his ear. "Get your ass back over here, now." He spoke harshly into the speaker and then pulled it away. "Voicemail." He growled under his breath.

"Anytime now!" Ruth yelled from the bottom of the stairs. Harry was still freaking out at her side.

"Alright. I'm going to get them there and then get back here as soon as possible." John assured us.

"We'll be fine. It's been weeks since anything happened." Zayn's arm found it's way around my waist. "Go and get back." He ordered. John nodded and ran down the stairs, escorting Harry and Ruth out of the house and to the hospital. Soon, Zayn and I were the only ones left in the house much like earlier, but this time without Ashton around.

"Are you sure we'll be okay? It's getting dark outside and-" All I could think about was the car that had been driving past the house the night before. And the fact that Zayn wasn't a hundred percent. Also, I didn't think that I could shoot a gun.

"I'll check in shortly." John left quickly with Ruth and Harry, rushing them out of the house and into the car in the garage. I peered out one of the curtain covered windows and wished them all the luck in the world. I looked back to Zayn and sighed.

"I'm sure everything will go fine."

"I know." I nodded and let myself rest in his arms. The house was quiet and I felt safe enough with Zayn. There was just always this feeling in the pit of my stomach that something horrible would happen. And with Ashton not answering his phone, even though I wasn't fond of the guy, I was really worried. "C-can you call Ashton again?"

"Why?" Zayn raised an eyebrow at me. "He didn't answer for a reason. We don't need him. Things will be fine like I said." Zayn was so sure that I had to believe in him. But with it being late at night in a dark and low security safe house, I was still feeling uneasy.

It was more silence after that with not much going on. Zayn didn't want to watch the TV in case it drew attention to the house. While he sat on the couch and moved his hurt arm gently to get comfortable, I walked around the house slowly and checked every lock and window. After two agonizing slow hours, we heard the front door click open. I stared wide eyed towards the door.

At the same time, Zayn's phone chimed. He turned towards the door and pressed the phone to his ear. "Hey John, that you at the door?" He asked with a light hearted voice, not worrying at all. I still watched the door with him as it started to open. "What's that John, slow down." Zayn turned away to listen to the phone, but I held the couches edge while staring at the front door.

Ashton's curly haired head appeared and I physically relaxed. "Zayn, it's just Ashton." I turned back to Zayn who was still pressing his phone to his ear. "Zayn?" I glanced back at the door and Ashton just fell onto the floor, the door opening fully. "Oh god." The knife in Ashton's back sent alarms through my body.

"GET DOWN!" Zayn shoved me down just as a bullet came flying past my head.

We were found.

A/N: WElp.

Much Love

Jachxx