Chapter 46: The End

John helped me make sure that everyone was out of the house that night, including Charles. I didn't want any interruptions because it was a night for Zayn and I, no one else.

"I'll be in the area if things decided to go south." John sent me a knowing look. Things never went right in my life so his worry was welcomed.

"Thank you."

"Now, I'll be off." John tipped his head to me as if he were wearing a hat and smiled. I thanked him again before he slipped out the back door and left me in the big house alone. It was nearing the time Zayn said he would be back and I was thankful because I missed him as well as I was super hungry.

I managed to find some candles hidden away in the drawers of the kitchen. I placed them on the table  since some of the lights in the house were busted up. Everything was in place and I really hoped that Zayn remembered the food since there was nothing in the house like he had told me earlier in the day.

I waited near the front door and watched the driveway for his car to pull up. Unfortunately, the black corvette was another casualty in Liam's rampage. I was sure going to miss that car. After a while Zayn's car rolled into the driveway and he stepped out with a large bag in his hands.

I opened up the front door and he smiled at me. "Sorry that I'm late. You didn't have to wait up for me." He set the bag down and reached for me, taking my chin between his finger and thumb and leaning in for a kiss. When he pulled back he smiled at me, but that smile soon faded. "Where is everyone?" He asked.

"I sent them home." I told him.

He seemed less than pleased. "Niall..." He sighed heavily as if he were trying to hide his emotions. "Why would you do that? You could have- I just- God. Why would you do that?" He asked again.

"Zayn." I reached for him and he grabbed my hands. "Everything is alright now. Liam is dead." I reminded him which I didn't think I needed to since he was the one who pulled the trigger.

He squeezed my hands. "Niall, that doesn't meant that you are safe. I just spent the past few hours paying off more of your clients." He shook his head. "There are still people out there that want to hurt you. To hurt me. Don't you understand that?" Zayn dropped my hands and frowned.

"Sorry. I just wanted us to have a night together. Just us."

"I understand that, but there is still so much to deal with." He looked at me and I couldn't help but be on the verge of tears. I was tired and I put so much effort into making the night perfect for us. I thought that it would finally be the night that Zayn and I really showed our love for each other in the best way possible. He must have seen the tears in my eyes because his arms were around me in an instant.

"Please don't do that."

I knew he hated it when I cried. Hell, I hated it. It was like this uncontrollable thing that I did. No matter how small the thing that triggered my emotions was... It didn't matter. I was a mess. A complete mess. "I'm sorry." I sniffled, my nose probably dripping onto Zayn's designer jacket. I pulled back to see. Yeah, snot on his jacket. "Dammit. I can't do anything right." I grumbled, trying to wipe away my nose juices from his jacket.

"Nothing one of my maids can't handle." Zayn said so seriously.

"You have maids?" I was shocked. Where had they been this whole time?

Zayn's stern look soon faltered and he grinned from ear to ear. "I'm just kidding. I actually do my own laundry." A small chuckled escaped my lips. "There we go. There's that smile I was looking for." I smiled wider. "Forget about all that I said. Let's enjoy our night." He grabbed my hand and we walked into the house together.